Video Cameras

TannerT

Hike Hard, Tread Lightly
I'm looking to buy a video camera. What do people use? When do you use it? what's the best? How did you decide? I couldn't find other threads about this. It seems like all you hear is GoPro. I know there's more out there. I'm doing a lot more base camping now that I have a little one but the day adventures are awesome. Comment one and all!

well like you said, GoPro is the main buzz right now. My Kodak camera has the video ability built in and is only limitied to the memory card's free memory space on it. I have used it on ocassion, but I also have been looking for a more dedicated video camera myself.

While I have no direct experiance with Cannon or Nikon, I have heard that those digial cameras take some amazing videos that can surpass the GoPro.

I use a gopro for 99% of my video work. I also use DSLRs for when I can bring my tripod and I have lighting and time to really set up the shot.

@sixstringsteve or anyone else that can answer this question... I know GoPro is the main buzz in HD video filming right now, but what makes them so diferent and desirable? I know they are compact, shoot in HD, and are pretty ruggid, but for someone that might never put it through some of the more extreme paces, what would make it a better choice over Nikon, Cannon, or any other digital video capable camera?

I have looked at them in the store before as well as some other options, and While I will acknowledge it is a good camera, I would tend to lean towards some of the other options available soley based on functionality for me. So why is GoPro so popular?

@sixstringsteve or anyone else that can answer this question... I know GoPro is the main buzz in HD video filming right now, but what makes them so diferent and desirable? I know they are compact, shoot in HD, and are pretty ruggid, but for someone that might never put it through some of the more extreme paces, what would make it a better choice over Nikon, Cannon, or any other digital video capable camera?

I have looked at them in the store before as well as some other options, and While I will acknowledge it is a good camera, I would tend to lean towards some of the other options available soley based on functionality for me. So why is GoPro so popular?

A GoPro isn't the right solution for everyone. They don't zoom, you can't see what's in frame (unless you're using wifi to your phone/tablet), and the microphone is on the back of the camera. The best features of a gopro are:

1) extremely good picture quality
2) super lighweight HD video camera
3) waterproof
4) Super small
5) Extremely affordable
6) very durable

When I go backpacking, rappelling, kayaking, or hiking I'm not going to take a tripod or an assortment of lenses with me to shoot video. The gopro fits on my head, bike, kayak, car, etc and doesn't get in the way while I'm out and about. For that reason alone, I use the GoPro.

If you don't need a lightweight camera and you don't need to wear your camera, then there are higher quality options, though they will probably be more expensive. For most people, a simple handheld handicam will capture decent video and audio without having to work too hard for it.

For formal video shoots I use my mirrorless or DSLR cameras. They're not as easy to use as a handicam or GoPro, but the video quality is outstanding. You have to understand microphones, audio input levels, aperture, iso, and frame rate and how to make them all work together (just like normal photography). You also have to manually focus and can't zoom in and out as well. The learning curve is much steeper than a simple handicam. For most of my high-end video work I'm using my DSLR.

Due to the nature of my video work (POV action-cam), the GoPro is the best fit for me. There are other great action cams out there, but I have the most familiarity with the GoPro so that's what I use.

@sixstringsteve Thank you, very informative. That helps to answer the bulk of the quetion, I am a little nerdy at times and like to get into the details of how each one works and how it is different, but your reply works for me at this time. Thank you again, it helped quite a bit.

Now I just need to decided what type of filming I want to do and what camera or selection of cameras will fill that need.

Happy to help.

Now I just need to decided what type of filming I want to do.

That is the golden question. Once you know what you'll be doing we can make some better recommendations.

Cool. I would recommend something that shoots in at least 1080p 30fps (frames per second). 60+ fps would be even better for slo-mo and general image quality.

well like you said, GoPro is the main buzz right now. My Kodak camera has the video ability built in and is only limitied to the memory card's free memory space on it. I have used it on ocassion, but I also have been looking for a more dedicated video camera myself.

While I have no direct experiance with Cannon or Nikon, I have heard that those digial cameras take some amazing videos that can surpass the GoPro.
Yeah I have a Nikon but you're limited to memory space and a time limit. The video is great though.

I use a gopro for 99% of my video work. I also use DSLRs for when I can bring my tripod and I have lighting and time to really set up the shot.
Sorry I got distracted and didn't see this response. Thanks

i have a GoPro, a sony handheld, a Canon Rebel 3Ti, and a Canon EOS M. The GoPro is the only camera I have that shoots in 60fps. The canons can shoot RAW video, but I don't have the space, hardware, memory cards, or need to do that.

For what it does, and doesn't do, I wouldn't consider GoPro as 'extremely affordable'. Especially when you've to buy multiple batteries and all the mounts/accessories.

Since GoPro became so popular, a number of companies came out with "sport cameras". I forget the brand but I got my sister one at Best buy for a fraction of the cost of a GoPro. Video is just as good, accessories were cheaper and it has a side mounted view screen. Can't use while diving but can be used at shorter depths. There are plenty of sport cameras around. Figure a total budget (camera and options) and look around. I have 2 GoPros and a Canon Ti3. Canon takes much better shots and video but I keep it away from sand and water.

One more thing for me to add:

THere is a HUGE difference in image quality between the GoPro White, Silver, and Black editions. I used to think it didn't make much difference until I filmed with all three on a shoot. The difference in quality is night and day.

With the 3+ I get less fisheye than I do with the 3. New battery also lasts longer although I usually use Wasabi. Finally bought a small level. Attached to my kayak I never seemed to be able to set them correctly. Hours of slanted videos. Hopefully this will take care of that.

Dori, what program are you using to edit your video? Most video editors allow you to straighten it out.

Is your 3+ a different color (black, white, silver) than your 3? I didn't believe they changed anything with the 3+ in regards to fisheye (but I could be wrong). I wonder if by default your field of view is set to medium or narrow instead of wide like your old one.

The 3+ has a slightly better chip for slightly longer battery life. It also came with the slightly bigger battery than the 3. The good old hero 3 will fit in a hero 3+ housing.