East coast hiker visiting Utah

Ah I didn't realize that 92 was part of the Alpine Loop. What I can gather online Alpine loop is essentially 92 and 189. I'll stick to those roads when exploring since I'll be right there and won't have much extra time. Btw, I can't seem to figure out how to get to Cascade Springs from the Alpine Loop. When I put it in Google Maps it doesn't really seem like it's on a road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they recommended a place down the highway called "Loves Truck Stop" on I-80 and Redwood Rd, exit 118 (pretty sure this is the place Taylor was talking about). I looked up the place online and called them. They do indeed offer shower services 24/7 for $10 and the woman who answers assured me they are clean. Unless you guys have any horror stories about this place, I think this will be my solution. Anyone have any experience on this place?

I work very near the Love's Truck Stop and have stopped in there many times to eat, get a coke, and use the restrooms. It's about as clean as you can expect from a truck stop. I wouldn't be scared to shower there if needed.

I work very near the Love's Truck Stop and have stopped in there many times to eat, get a coke, and use the restrooms. It's about as clean as you can expect from a truck stop. I wouldn't be scared to shower there if needed.

Perfect, thanks. That's my plan for showering that night on the way back to the airport then.

Tons of info given......a TR expected. Just sayin'

Yes, I was real lucky to find this site. You guys are the best. You'll definitely get a detailed report. I'll even review the shower facilities at Loves lol. This trip isn't until September, but I leave for the White Mountain National Forest in 3 weeks so I'll report on that in the meantime.

Welcome to the group. Another east coaster here. You are correct in saying these guys on this site are great. Extremely helpful to me on my trip last year.

Do listen about the altitude. I am also at sea level and remember many years ago hiking on my first day in New Mexico at 8,000ft. I felt out of breathe and slow. Eventually I acclimatized and was able to hike 14'ers. Took 3-4 days, less than a week. I never felt sick just a little winded and I was in excellent shape at that time. You are going to feel 10,00. Take that into account when planning mileages. Scale back a bit compared to your normal hiking levels and take it slow. Enjoy

Well I got home this trip this morning and had an awesome time. Thanks again everyone, for helping make this trip a success. I'll write up a full trip report in the coming days. After missing my flight out on Friday (3 hrs of traffic in NYC) I didn't land in SLC until 10:50 pm Friday night but luckily this didn't cut into my hiking time. I hiked Mt Timpanogos via Timpooneke on Saturday and Lake Blanche on Sunday. I finished Lake Blanche early on Sunday so I also did the Timpanogos Cave tour/hike, drove the Alpine loop, and stopped at Bridal Veil Falls before heading back to SLC to shower, eat and catch my flight home. Altogether I was only in SLC for about a 48 hour window but I was able to get in 25 miles of hiking, climb over 8k feet, see some awesome scenery (and caves), and meet some wonderful people. It was a trip I won't soon forget.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J East Coast to Unitas Trip Recommendations Trip Planning 4
T Greetings from the East Coast Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
JDWalters East Coast noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Tres Westbrook Down East Maine - Cutler Coast Preserve Trails Hiking & Camping 4
Flaminghog2099 East coast backpacking General Discussion 7
TrailScot Day hike in the Upper East Side of Zion - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 5
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
Dreamer Way, way Down East Backpacking 13
scatman East Millcreek Ridge - July 2, 2022 Hiking & Camping 21
Duketogo13 Hello from the East Bay! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 17
zionsky ZNP East Entrance Visitor Center General Discussion 2
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
Ross Anyone want to do East Fork Fat Man's Misery-Barracks-Labyrinth Falls Oct 15 (tues) Trip Planning 0
J How is the dirt road to the East Fork of Blacks Fork TH? Trip Planning 1
Ross Invite Boundary/Kolob/Narrows & East Fork Fat Man’s/Labyrinth Falls (Oct) Meet Up (Members Only) 4
regehr floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft? Trip Planning 3
Lowro East Temple Peak - Wind River Range Backpacking 13
chandlerwest Just Some Drainage in the East side of Zion Nat'l Park Hiking & Camping 9
Born to Hike Clements Lake and East Basin in the High Uintas, mid-July 2018 Backpacking 6
Noun Sequitur El Malpais East, Lava Falls Trail Hiking & Camping 5
N Canyon Routes on East Side of Trachyte Creek Trip Planning 2
Perry Uinta Highline trail - East to West - Mission Accomplished! Backpacking 24
George_Washington_Hayduke White Roost Canyons (east and west forks) & North Fork of Robbers Roost Canyon Canyoneering 3
J Camping outside East entrance of Zion NP General Discussion 2
chandlerwest Zion Nat'l Park - Rim of the East Canyons Hiking & Camping 5
Perry Uinta Highline Trail - East to West Backpacking 21
Artemus Zion east entrance road closed General Discussion 1
Curt Grand Canyon --Tanner - Escalante Route - East Tonto - Grandview Backpacking 21
LarryBoy Beartooths - East/West Traverse (any/all advice welcome!) Trip Planning 15
Writhdar Red Breaks Northeast & East Forks Loop? (Escalante area) General Discussion 3
Ross Invite: Exploring Little Colorado's north rim + Colorado East Rim viewpts Trip Planning 3
blueeyes East Idaho backpacking suggestions Trip Planning 11
Ross Misery Canyon just east of Zion - west or east fork? Trip Planning 5
Christian Canyoneering East Blarney, Big Springs East, hiking to some less frequented areas in Moab Canyoneering 4
IntrepidXJ East Fork of Pollock Canyon Hiking & Camping 2
Desertrat East Cedar Mountain Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
toejam East Deck Loop Hiking & Camping 4
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 5 on the East Side Backpacking 3
Scott Chandler Summer in the CPW- Tour 2- East Side Hiking & Camping 5
Curt Bright Angel - East Tonto - Grandview Trails Backpacking 12
Ron Diel Noob from Out East Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
uinta_eagle Solo Uintas Loop From East Fork of the Bear Backpacking 5
ram East Face of Mix-Up Mountain Backpacking 4
Dave Boy Scouts kill bear at East Fork of the Bear General Discussion 17
Seldom Seen Anderson East Fork/Barracks Trip Planning 9