Mirrorless Cameras

I think you made the right choice. The Sony mirrorless cameras are really excellent. Normally I would say Canon has the better lenses, but there are only 4 available for the Canon M, although they are all excellent and very well priced. My Sony a6000 is the first camera I have owned that I have been completely happy with, so that's saying something.

Well I took the NEX 3N out on a hike for the first time yesterday in the Catskills and messed around a little.. I'll post some pics from that in the "micro trip report" thread. But here are some sample pics I took outside my house in straight up Auto to JPEG without any processing. Judging from my hiking pics, I can see a definite improvement in quality over my point & shoot, but the learning curve of weaning off of auto is definitely going to take a while.

DSC00115.JPG

DSC00114.JPG

I'm ready to move to a full frame camera, and after doing a fair amount of research, I had settled on a 6d. When I went to the store to handle it, I was less than impressed with the size, feel ,and overall clunkiness of that camera. A 5D3 is out of my price range, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth for new camera standards. Before I load up on lenses, i need to rethink my Canon decision.

There was a sony a7 there and it REALLY impressed me. I wish it had an articulating screen that swung out, and I wish it were a touch screen, but other than that, I loved the camera. The manual aperture, shutter speed, and iso knobs were extremely handy. I need to research lenses more. i've had sony camcorders and digital cameras many many years ago, and they always ended up breaking on me several years into ownership. I hope their mirrorless cameras aren't that way. Does sony use any weird proprietary formats for shooting video in particular? I'd really love a full frame that shoots 4k video. I need to do more research to see what my options are in that area.

I'm thinking the a7 series is what I'm looking for, but those lenses aint cheap.

Last edited:
I had settled on a 6d. When I went to the store to handle it, I was less than impressed with the size, feel ,and overall clunkiness of that camera. A 5D3 is out of my price range, and it's getting a bit long in the tooth for new camera standards.

If you think the 6D is clunky, you'd be even more disappointed by the 5D3. I have both and prefer the 6D over the 5D3 by a long shot. The 5D3 is just too big....I rarely ever use it.

I love my 6D. After trying out an m4/3 rig last year, I'm not bothered by the bulk in exchange for the great quality with the 6D with good glass. The only thing I wish it had was a flip out screen. Incredible bang for the buck on it though, IMO.

thanks for the info. I definitely want a full frame. I hear ya nick, I wish the 6d had a flip out screen. For videos where I'm filming myself, it's nice to look back at the camera and make sure I'm in frame. It's also nice when I've got the camera up on a tall tripod where I can't see the screen unless it's flipped out. For video, this is super important to me. I suppose I could do the wireless thing to my phone, but that seems like a bit of a hassle.

I'm glad to hear of the love for the 6D. I was super close to pulling the trigger on the 6d with the 24-105 F4 lens, but the sony caught my eye and it seriously blew me away in size, feel, features, and the knobs to adjust each parameter. I'm still not sure if it'd be the best choice for me yet. I'm getting it for 99% video work and 1% photography. There aren't a ton of lenses for the sony full frames yet, and they're pretty spendy for what they are. If only canon had a good full frame mirrorless camera with a tilt-out touch screen.

Last edited:
I wouldn't hold your breath, but the latest rumor floating around is that Canon is working on a full-frame mirrorless...

I'd be interested if it's actually true.

I'm sure it'll happen eventually. I'm guessing it's 1-2 years out

hearing that everyone loves their 6d makes me think that might be a better option for me.

If I had to start over with a camera sytem and not having all my Nikon lenses and gear, I would buy the Canyon 6 D immediately without any hesitation. You can't go wrong with the 6 D, it's a great camera.

The Sony mirrorless cameras are really excellent.

We have a totally different experience. My wife bought a Sony alpha 77 in 2013. After that we went to Southern Utah. Shortly after it was clear to us that this system had severe limitations in bright sunlight. The viewfinder only showed an completely "overexposed" sky and a highly "underexposed" rest of the picture. It was impossible to see any details.

The camera went back to Sony, bounced several times between the company and us. It took Sony seven month to investigate. Then they withdrawed the camera. At the end they agreed it was unusable at brighter light.

If I had to start over with a camera sytem and not having all my Nikon lenses and gear, I would buy the Canyon 6 D immediately without any hesitation. You can't go wrong with the 6 D, it's a great camera.

I love my 6D. Not a professional photographer but love taking photos. Now that canon has come out with Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors but not on a camera with a full frame sensor, I hope to see a 6D mark II within a year or two.

Can I dig up an old thread and post deep, deep, pages and pages into it?? Lessens the chance of being read by.....hm....70%? :)

About a year ago decided that the Samsung NX1 was the target. finally someone made a professional grade mirrorless. Samsung went all out and they were quick with firmware updates (via wifi no less) and really trying to corner the professional market. Then....suddenly, Samsung displayed NO cameras at the CES this last year. NONE. ?? And right when I was about to have enough pennies saved up for a purchase....Samsung discontinues it. The rumor is that Nikon purchased the technology and Samsung cancelled everything because of that purchase. Both companies deny this though Samsung also denied that they were cancelling the NX1.

Sooooo....I think it is back to the drawing board. I still want the NX1, but....cutting edge technology is a bit risky as is. Factor in that the company discontinued it and it just doesn't seem smart though I would guess that used cameras should be selling cheap here shortly.

Dang!! :( Looking at the 7d mk ii again I guess.

Well Steve, if you didn't like the 6d it doesn't really matter if everyone else loves it or not. I love my Sony, but the biggest weakness is the lens system you are buying into. Canon has just about any lens at any price point you could want, you are much more limited with quality lenses in the Sony lineup.