2 Way Radio Recommendation

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
Looking at getting some two way radios for backcountry use. Anybody use them regularly? Brands or models you like?

What kind of range are you expecting to get?
A couple of miles would be nice. In my shopping around I notice they're touted around 30 and as much as 50 mile range. In the mountains I can't see how that would be possible. My primary purpose would be, for example backpacking this summer with my kids. The boy and I did a lot of exploring and the daughter wasn't interested so she stayed at camp. Keeping in contact when we split up.

Thanks

I have some older Motorolas... decent range. 5 miles easy, they say to 25 miles, but ??. Remember, if they do GMRS (long range mileage) you are supposed to buy a FCC permit. FRS you don't need to. Or take your chances they don't catch you. Or look at some of the Chinese ham type radios, take the test and get the ham license....then you get range and the 'real' frequencies. They weigh very little. But can contact aircraft, USFS frequencies, etc. Are programmable. I have a pair of Wouxun. Seem to work decent. Whichever the weather service capability is nice.

Have you ever thought about combining your GPS and the raido. I use the garmin rino for hunting and it has alot of features that I like my kids to have. They have the 2 way raido that has a decent range (about twice that of the talkabout) and it is a quality gps for navigating the mountains. The feature that I realy like on it is the ability to see other people in youir party's location. when you talk on the raido your location is sent to the people that you are talking to and updates it on the map screen in the GPS. This is a handy feature in case someone gets lost. You can also poll the location of people that are in your group so that you know where they are at. I have been using my Garmin Rino for 5 years now and I would recomend it to anyone that spends alot of time in the woods.