4 old men in a couple of canoes

gnwatts

I0000XpY104FYgC8.jpg

Charlie and I had done Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom on the Green River with Nate and Nick last year. So it came to pass that Charlie and I would see the rest of the Green, along with my friend Mike and Charlie's brother Dan. I had floated this section 4 years ago, and the river was pretty nasty to us. So in the spirit of reconciliation we started down this beautiful stretch of water, leaving Mineral Bottom and needing to be at the confluence with the Muy Colorado 4 days later. We had 2 canoes, good food & drink & company.

Above & below: from our 1st camp:

I00009XvYR8Y.xwE.jpg

I0000qBo8.Jgwc5U.jpg

I00002Ppn28ZDpzc.jpg

I0000AYl.qMqc6p8.jpg

I0000vLdmZPDbKJQ.jpg

The 2nd day started out nice, then started to cloud up due to an old hurricane that originated in Baja. We got a little drizzle, and cooler temps.

I00004sewgsdMyS0.jpg

The water was glassy all day, every day:

I0000Owdv1lh32o4.jpg

Our 3rd camp. 2 of my 3 batteries drained extremely fast, so I took no photographs paddling on our 3rd day, wanting to save the battery for later that evening. Another great camp spot, deeper in the canyon, and a little sun.

I00004A_pKXCqK1s.jpg

I0000V8ktXhsQWS4.jpg

I0000wQi6aCtQhYA.jpg

I0000Y1NLFylXK14.jpg

I0000iPp93E0oE_I.jpg

Last photo. Dead battery.
We packed up the next day, and floated an hour down just past the confluence to await our jet boat.
BTW, this stretch of the Green is much more crowded than 4 years ago. We had a very difficult time finding our 2nd camp spot, not until 7pm did we stop. I was thinking that we would be spending the night in the canoe.

Oh well.
It was still spectacular.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Nice trip! I believe that Powell did thing the Buttes of the Cross was one butte at first when they named it/them, but as they continued the float, they saw that it was two separate buttes. He mentions it in his book.

Thanks for your comments. The Datura was spectacular. It was all by itself, and the only one around which is kind of rare, as I usually see them in groups.

Last edited:
that pic at Butte of the Cross is sick. and the flower too.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Writhdar Old Sheffield/Spencer Flats Road end (wellhead) questions Hiking & Camping 4
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
D Backpacking Ideas for an 8 year old Trip Planning 16
Bob Old magazine Isssues General Discussion 2
balzaccom Getting old.... General Discussion 2
T Old guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Cait Hell's Kitchen Basin - Old Pack Trail post Box Fire Trip Reports 3
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
wsp_scott Overnight bike trip with a 7 year old Backpacking 1
Rockskipper I never thought I'd see empty boardwalks... (Old Faithful webcam) General Discussion 3
C Days of Old General Discussion 14
Bob Backpacking - Old School General Discussion 38
Stephanie B Old Woman Wash, Three Finger Petroglyphs, and Wild Horse Canyon (Backcountry Fest in the San Rafael Swell) Hiking & Camping 6
Nick Supporter Renewals with Old Payment Info Questions, Suggestions & Support 6
balzaccom following old roads Hiking & Camping 3
lyoungjcmo New old timer here from Missouri Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
kwc Adirondack Winter Hike (old) Hiking & Camping 3
blueeyes Old buildings/Ghost Towns Photography 82
Perry Old South Skyline Trail - Ogden Canyon Trip Planning 1
Nick Ancient or just old? General Discussion 7
Ross Photo highlights from an old Utah trip Everything Else 7
Flaminghog2099 Old rag loop hike Trip Planning 5
C Looking for HCL 1901 Rock in Old Womans Wash Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Blake Merrell 1 Year Old's Birthday Backpacking Trip Backpacking 22
Joey Upper Death Hollow and the Old Bowington Road, From Hell's Backbone down to the Escalante River Backpacking 24
uintahiker Requiem for 2015. So long old buddy. General Discussion 2
Desertrat Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
scatman The Old Faithful Loop - The Exploration of the Shoshone Creek and Firehole River Drainages Backpacking 39
Howells Outdoors Snowshoeing the Old Sorrel Trail Hiking & Camping 11
hatchcanyon Old UT 95 Photography 3
powderglut Old Sheffield/Spencer Flats Road Trip Planning 19
Udink Upper Old Woman Wash Hiking & Camping 2
Nick Out with the old... General Discussion 0
MaddMoki A few shots from a winter solo odyssey above the Old Escalante Backpacking 9
Duke Scanning/digitizing old Photographs Photography 18
Udink Old Woman and Cottonwood Washes Hiking & Camping 5
Seldom Seen Anderson Little Purgatory and Old Babylon Trail Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Yellowstone: Old Faithful Area Hiking & Camping 4
Bill Album Rusty, Crusty, Old, and Abandoned Photography 104
Udink Old Woman Wash, San Rafael Reef Hiking & Camping 4
John Fowler Old Paria, October, 2011 Hiking & Camping 7
audraiam 55% off Keen Men's and Women's footwear Gear 0
J Anyone in the Thorofare in the past couple of weeks? Trip Planning 0
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
J Dayhiking Moab's awesome geography, couple hikes to summits and rock art April 8-9, 2021 Hiking & Camping 0
J Short time in Greater Bears Ears. Couple Dayhikes April 5 and 6, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Rockskipper Solar flare = aurora in many places next couple of nights General Discussion 5
wsp_scott A couple trips with kids Backpacking 1
forest dweller Seeking advice for a 5 or 6 night Banff or Jasper backpacking trip for a married couple with different ideas of what awesome is!!! Trip Planning 7