Anyone shot with the new Canon 16-35?

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
I wrote this lens off when it was first released but have to admit I find myself more and more interested in it.

I currently own (and enjoy) the Canon 16-35 f2.8L II. But the edge-to-edge sharpness results in reviews for the 16-35 f4 L IS have me tempted to put the 2.8 up for sale. I'm interested to hear from any regular landscape shooters on their impressions of the new lens.

Wow. I hadn't looked into this, but a little reading up and I'm also very curious. Looks like Amazon will buy my 2.8 back for half price! Haha!

upload_2014-8-12_0-30-30.png

Has anyone seen a sun burst out of the f4?

Looks like Amazon will buy my 2.8 back for half price!

Has anyone seen a sun burst out of the f4?

Yeah, that dog won't hunt, Amazon. I'll only trade out if it's at least a straight swap, cash-wise.

I really like the f4's sunstar. Though I'll miss the spikes of the 2.8, I'd prefer better corner sharpness. I'm hoping my local camera shop will start renting this one in time for my fall Southwest trip.

f2.8 is SOLD and I got my new 16-35 f4 today. I'm working all weekend but then I'm headed out on a long trip next week to give it a solid testing. I'll post some results.

Two quick observations: It is a 77mm filter ring, not the 82mm on the 2.8. That is awesome! Anyone need an 8w2mm ND filter? And the hood with this one (EW-82) is tiny compared to the one that came with the 2.8. I'm not complaining, it's just odd.

Two quick observations: It is a 77mm filter ring, not the 82mm on the 2.8. That is awesome! Anyone need an 8w2mm ND filter? And the hood with this one (EW-82) is tiny compared to the one that came with the 2.8. I'm not complaining, it's just odd.

All factors that caught my attention. If the hood is small enough to keep on without reversing, that's a plus.

How does the plastic barrel/filter ring feel?

It feels good. Definitely a little lighter, which I'm totally okay with. I kind of wish I could hold them side by side but the f2.8 is long gone now.

I finally took it out today and did some work. I shot an an IHC Instacare facility and did my 119th trail guide (1 MORE TO GO!!). My initial impression that this is the sharpest lens I own. Those corners look beautifully. The hype is well deserved.

The sunstars don't look as iconic as the 2.8 ones, but it definitely looks sharper right up to the corners. Canon is finally making wide angle lenses that I can get excited about.

I'm still quite happy with the sun stars on the new one. I don't have a full comparison because the only shots I tried it with were with a full sun with nothing to pinch off the bulk of the light. I find the best sunstars are when the sun is mostly behind an object except for one tiny bit. But for full, direct shots into the sun, I was very impressed. Here are a couple samples from the trip I just went on.

canon-16-35-f4L-sun-burst-1.jpg

A bit of flare, but that's what you get for pointing it straight into the sun, right?
canon-16-35-f4L-sun-burst-2.jpg

That's very minimal flare for a straight-on shot. I take it that was without any other glass like a UV filter?

The sunstars don't look as iconic as the 2.8 ones, but it definitely looks sharper right up to the corners. Canon is finally making wide angle lenses that I can get excited about.

I own the Canon 17-40L, the 17mm TS-E (sharp) and the 24mm TS-E (sharper). The 17-40mm, at 20mm and above (stopped down a bit) is impressively sharp, corner to corner, and cheaper than the 16-35. I had the 16-35 for a short time, but prefer the focal length of the 17-40mm more. All of the Canon wide angle lenses are superb IMO.
I get quite excited when I use them. :)

I had the 17-40 for about 5 years, I must have had a bad copy because even stopped down the corners were pretty mushy. True the 24mm TSE is just ridiculously good, but it's out of my price range. The 11-22 Canon makes for the EOS-M is super good as well, probably the best wide angle Canon lens I have used. This new 16-35 looks like it really takes it up a notch though.

I would be tempted to keep an old copy just for the sunburst though. That flare from the 16-35 is so iconic, I would keep it in my bag just for shooting sunrises or sunsets, even if it's not as sharp.

Finally sold my f/2.8 tonight and ordered the f/4 from B&H. I realized that even in a year of using the 2.8, the instances in which I shot at anything other than f/8-f/22 were extremely limited. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new lens can do.