Glacier NP advice

Sarah

My partner and I are considering making a short trip up to Glacier at the end of July. Short meaning that we'd probably leave Wednesday morning and come back that next Monday evening, so four full days and a couple half days in the park. I've heard great things about Glacier but I'm wondering if that will be enough time to merit the trip. We won't be able to backpack because all of the desired backcountry sites had incompatible dates, so we'd probably just stay at the campsites and do some longer hikes. Any thoughts? If it is worthwhile, what would you consider the must-do hikes and attractions in the park and nearby area? Thanks for your help!

You don't mention how far you're traveling, but I've driven from San Diego to Zion National Park for a weekend backpack trip and it was more than worth it, so 4 1/2 days is definitely something I'd do. I've never been to Glacier so can't recommend any hikes, but I can't imagine there's a bad one.

Glacier is near the top of the list for a family vacation next summer. It would be a non-backpacking trip for us too. So, I'm hoping you get lots of really helpful answers :).

- DAA

Yes, anyone please chime in. I have considered a trip to Glacier next summer as well.

not sure if you've already left but there are literally tons of day hikes, avalanche lake is popular but awesome 2 miles each way, grinell glacier or cracker lake both start at many glacier and are longer day hikes, cracker is 6 each way, think grinell is about the same, red rock falls is about 2 each way from many glacier, feather plume falls, barring falls is short

In addition to the recommendations @pinecone gave, I would also add Iceberg Lake and the Highline Trail for long hikes, and St. Mary/Virginia Falls and Hidden Lake for short hikes. If you have the time, Two Medicine is also very nice, and nearby Luna's restaurant has a huckleberry pie that's to die for.:tongue:

Reactions: DAA
I've only been to Glacier once with my wife. It was early in the season before much of it was opened. Although a bit crowded, Avalanche Lake was really spectacular. I saw 3 bears, deer, and a few mountain goats. The highlight for me was watching (from a safe distance) a brown Bear with cubs, chase a herd of mountain goats onto a cliff-side.

I've looked into a backpack starting in the Canada side, and exiting in Glacier, but don't remember much about it.

I've only been to Glacier once with my wife. It was early in the season before much of it was opened. Although a bit crowded, Avalanche Lake was really spectacular. I saw 3 bears, deer, and a few mountain goats. The highlight for me was watching (from a safe distance) a brown Bear with cubs, chase a herd of mountain goats onto a cliff-side.

I've looked into a backpack starting in the Canada side, and exiting in Glacier, but don't remember much about it.
My partner and I are considering making a short trip up to Glacier at the end of July. Short meaning that we'd probably leave Wednesday morning and come back that next Monday evening, so four full days and a couple half days in the park. I've heard great things about Glacier but I'm wondering if that will be enough time to merit the trip. We won't be able to backpack because all of the desired backcountry sites had incompatible dates, so we'd probably just stay at the campsites and do some longer hikes. Any thoughts? If it is worthwhile, what would you consider the must-do hikes and attractions in the park and nearby area? Thanks for your help!

It depends on what you are into. The hikes previously mentioned are good ones. But be prepared to share the trail with a lot of other people. I mean a lot! The backcountry is the place to be in GNP. You could get a decent walk up permit for the time you have or there are a lot of great off trail destinations for day hikes if you have some route finding skills. Glacier is well worth it to go anytime but you will get more enjoyment out of it if you can escape the crowds. IMO the best Day hike in the park is the Dawson / Pitamakan loop. But it's a long one ,18 miles . But the milage keeps the crowds away.
Have fun.
IRG

Last edited:
Go to Many Glacier. Sit on the back porch and drink a beer. You won't notice time.

Seriously, go to Many Glacier. I mean the park is so big, and so many different areas. It takes a lot of time just to drive from one side to the other. But Many Glacier is a great place for someone's first trip to the park. There are several day hiking options that are just awesome. Yes there will be a lot of people, but its kind of the price you pay.

Lots of great advise already in this thread. Isleroyaleguy is dead on with his post I agree the Dawson/Pitamakan section of trail rivals anything in the park and in the lower 48. The North Fork is awesome, Two Medicine is awesome. Just visiting the old lodges is neat.

Enjoy your trip!

Well, we did the trip and it was definitely worth it, even though the drive was pretty long! We had to stay at a KOA the first night because we got to the park too late, but then we camped one night at Avalanche campground and two nights at the Rising Sun campground. We did hikes to Avalanche Lake, Virginia Falls, Hidden Lake, Iceberg Lake and Swiftcurrent Pass. All of them were great, Hidden Lake and Iceberg were pretty crowded but to be honest, I didn't mind because of the bear danger. We didn't buy bear spray and I was a little nervous about the two of us running into one on our own...it might have freaked me out too much in the backcountry unless I was properly prepared. We did end up seeing a grizzly pretty close to the trail on the way back from Iceberg Lake, but other than that we didn't have any bear sightings. Lots of wildlife, fantastic views and good weather for the most part. None of the hikes were particularly hard by Utah standards (except for the last section of Swiftcurrent), and the trails were really well maintained. And I appreciated that you could buy local craft beer at any of the stores inside the park :). Awesome place!

upload_2014-7-30_14-41-57.png

upload_2014-7-30_14-42-29.png

upload_2014-7-30_14-42-48.png

upload_2014-7-30_14-43-26.png

upload_2014-7-30_14-43-44.png

upload_2014-7-30_14-42-48-png.18616

WOW!

Yeah, it's unbelievably scenic. If you love the outdoors and photography, I'm pretty sure you can't beat a trip to Glacier in the Lower 48.
So glad you had a good experience at the end of July. I went to the same area, Many Glaciers, in the middle on June and I was too early but I got to do some hikes to the Salamander Glacier, in your pics, and then the rain came…. Then I moved to the other side of Glacier and it had too much snow….lesson learnt! When I go back it will be end of July or August!

I was supposed to be going there tomorrow but had some plans change so yellowstone instead for this year, back to glacier next for sure!

Yeah, it's unbelievably scenic. If you love the outdoors and photography, I'm pretty sure you can't beat a trip to Glacier in the Lower 48.

Indeed! It is gorgeous. I'm jealous of your Iceberg Lake shot. We had low hanging clouds on that day and while you could see the lake, the mountain behind was mostly obscured.

So glad you had a good experience at the end of July. I went to the same area, Many Glaciers, in the middle on June and I was too early but I got to do some hikes to the Salamander Glacier, in your pics, and then the rain came…. Then I moved to the other side of Glacier and it had too much snow….lesson learnt! When I go back it will be end of July or August!
LOL, yep, mid June this year was a monsoon. It reminded me of being in a hurricane. But that was sort of a freak occurrence.

Yeah the trail system in the park is great. They keep them well maintained, and the "ups" aren't as tough as hiking in the Wasatch. When trail crew has to redo sections of switchbacks, they have to keep the pitch under a certain degree, so that its not to steep.

Funny you mention the beer. I worked at the Swiftcurrent Camp store back in 2007. Up until that point the only beer I had ever drank was domestic crap. Then I spent the whole summer up there drinking Big Sky's IPA and Scapegoat, and others like trout slayer. I came back to SLC with my entire truck bed filled with Kraft beer. Ever since then I can't drink domestic beer at all.