Hiking Books (entertaining not informational)

Vegan.Hiker

I thought it might be cool to have a thread to discuss hiking books. The kind you read mainly for entertainment (memoirs, journals, etc.) not the informational type (guide books, manuals, etc.) I know a lot of books serve both purposes, but I was hoping to stick to the entertaining ones.

I’m sure I’m leaving some out but these are the ones I’ve read recently:

“Following Atticus” by Tom Ryan – A true account of a Massachusetts journalist who discovers his love of the White Mountains and hikes each of the 48, Four thousand footers twice in one winter, with his 12 pound MINI SCHNAUZER! This is a great book by a great author. It was a little longer than it needed to be though.

“AWOL on the Appalachian Trail” by David Miller – Basically an AT thru-hiker journal, but well written with an emphasis on story-telling and self-reflection rather than being an information resource. He later went on to write a detailed AT trail guide as well.

“A Walk in the Woods” by Bill Bryson – AT thru-hikers tend to hate this book because they feel he missed out on the true spirit of thru-hiking and only completed less than a third of the trail, but I thought Bryson did an awesome job of supplementing his experiences on the trail with well-researched facts about geology (nearly a chapter on mountain erosion) to botany (nearly a chapter on the great American Chestnut blight) to the history of the AT and it's relationship with an ever-changing American culture. His storytelling was great as well.

“Just Passin’ Thru” by Winton Porter – This is perhaps my favorite hiking book that I have read. It’s a true memoir of Winton Porter, owner of Mountain Crossings; a store, outfitter, AT hostel, with an attached home for his family. The AT literally crosses underneath the breezeway connecting his house and his shop. Porter tells stories and life lessons through real-life accounts with the characters (AT thru-hikers) that he encounters in his daily life. I feel this book would make an awesome play.

“Merle’s Door” by Ted Kerasote – Not a hiking book but I’ll include it here because the setting is in the backcountry and I know there are a lot of dog-lovers on this site. As a dog owner, I had mixed feelings about some of the author’s philosophies about dogs and the bond between man and dog. I still enjoyed it and would still recommend it to those who spend significant time outdoors with their dog.

Currently in Progress – I’m currently reading “Wild” by Cheryl Strayed. This is a a PCT memoir. I haven’t gotten too far into it yet but I’m enjoying it so far.

Books I’ve picked up but haven’t gotten to yet:

“A Walk for Sunshine” by Jeff Alt – Supposed to be an inspirational AT memoir about a fundraiser for his brother’s home for the disabled.

“Skywalker” by Bill Walker – Another PCT memoir. I actually started this a while ago but ditched it since it didn’t grab me and I had another book I wanted to read. I’ll give it another shot when I have a chance.

If anyone has read any of these I’d love to discuss. I’d also love to hear recommendations on other books that people have read.

Last edited:
I've read AWOL, A Walk in the Woods, and Wild. I'm a little burned out I think on the thru-hike trip report books. Bryson's was by far my favorite of those three.

I Hike, by Lawton Grinter is a good one...collection of short stories.

Right now I'm about 2/3 of the way through Desert Solitaire and it probably trumps anything else I've read about the outdoors to date. For better or worse I identify with the some of the more misanthropic stuff Abbey writes about.

Never could get into hiking books........ heck, I have a hard enough time writing a short trip report.. :(

Great thread, I've added some title to my TBR pile. I loved Wild. Really hoping the movie does it justice.

@mak1277, I so hear you on sometimes agreeing with Abbey's more misanthropic passages in Desert Solitaire... :)

Few more to add:

The Last Season by Eric Blehm - Fascinating piece of investigative journalism that reads like a whodunit. I'll just give you the teaser from the book's cover: "Twenty-eight seasons living alone in the most remote and unforgiving wild places had instilled in Randy Morgenson a remarkable sense of where the wilderness might hide a missing hiker or climber. Then one day this legendary backcountry ranger went missing himself..."

Wilderness Journals of Everett Ruess; Everett Ruess: A Vagabond for Beauty; On Desert Trails With Everett Ruess, all published by Gibbs Smith, Publisher - If you haven't yet heard of or read about Everett Ruess, a young artist and wilderness adventurer who disappeared in 1934 at the age of 20 somewhere near Davis Gulch in what is today GSENM, these books are a great introduction. Also see Finding Everett Ruess by David Roberts and Everett Ruess: His Short Life, Mysterious Death, and Astonishing Afterlife by Phillip Fradkin.

Sandstone Seduction by Katie Lee - A former Hollywood starlet turned avowed river runner and desert rat, Katie Lee passionately fought against the Glen Canyon Dam tragedy. Her voice is quirky, enamored of the canyon country, and feisty as hell. Not really a hiking book per se, but it does cover landscape many love to hike in.

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder by Richard Louv. Also not specifically a hiking book, but it sure makes a damn good case for the importance of hiking, among other outdoor activities. Not that anyone on this board needs to be convinced of the merits of hiking, of course. :)

OK--so you have to include Colin Fletcher's books: The Thousand Mile Summer , The Man Who Walked Through Time, etc. .

My all-time favorite book along these lines is Clarence King's Mountaineering in the Sierra Nevada. Funny, memorable, epic, and historic all at once. The man can write, and he was part of the first survey (The Whitney Survey) in the Sierra---at a time when California was about as wild and wooly as any place on earth. Grizzlies, banditos, terrifying descents, and absolutely laugh out loud adventures. And it's free for Nooks and Kindles.

One more recommendation---anything by Hugh Thompson about the Andes. The White Rock, a Sacred Lanscape---really good books about exploring the Andes and the ancient cultures he helped discover there

I've read AWOL, A Walk in the Woods, and Wild. I'm a little burned out I think on the thru-hike trip report books. Bryson's was by far my favorite of those three.

I feel that way too if I don't space out the hiking books with something different in between. I think that's why "Just Passin' Thru" was my favorite. The setting remained in the outfitter/hostel for most of the book rather than on the trail. Offered a different perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread, I've added some title to my TBR pile. I loved Wild. Really hoping the movie does it justice.

Oh wow, had no idea they were turning it into a movie. Any idea when it is supposed to be released? The other books you mentioned sound interesting. Is the Blehm book fiction or non-fiction?

Great, it should still be fresh in my mind then. Thanks.

OK--so you have to include Colin Fletcher's books: The Thousand Mile Summer , The Man Who Walked Through Time, etc. .

I agree that these must be included. They had a lot of impact for me. I read these when I was a teenager and had never done anything but day trips. I didn't know anyone who backpacked and these books caused me to consider trying overnight and weekend trips. Eventually I worked up to more ambitious trips, but I've still never done anything of the magnitude described in the books. At the time I read them the internet didn't exist and I don't think there was very much in the way of hiking books. Though they're dated I think they're still a good read.

Last edited:
Just finished Jon Muir's "First Season in the Sierra." I'm sure it may be a bit outdated, over sensationalized, but his enthusiasm for the mountains was contagious for me.

Just finished Jon Muir's "First Season in the Sierra." I'm sure it may be a bit outdated, over sensationalized, but his enthusiasm for the mountains was contagious for me.

I always see the John Muir books at my outfitter and almost always pick one up off the shelf and contemplate buying it. Did you find his musings to still be relevant to hiking/backpacking in the modern day, or did you find it read more like an historical account of the early preservation movement?

Oh wow, had no idea they were turning it into a movie. Any idea when it is supposed to be released? The other books you mentioned sound interesting. Is the Blehm book fiction or non-fiction?

Yes, December 5th. If you're interested, follow author Cheryl Strayed on fb. She is amazing to follow, posts cool stuff, and has lots of insider stuff about the filming, screening, all that. She was present for much of the filming.

The Blehm book is nonfiction. It's about a backcountry ranger (Morgenson) who inexplicably went missing in 1996 while he was employed by Sequoia-Kings Canyon NP. You can find out in a heartbeat online what happened to him, but I strongly suggest reading the book instead! It really leads you down this rabbit hole of wth happened to that guy? Murder, ran-away-with-his-lover, got injured in the backcountry, committed suicide?--all sorts of questions. It's heartbreaking to read what his loved ones went through. Very similar, actually, to the Everett Ruess story (which is still a mystery 80 years later, although I personally have my strong suspicions as to what happened to that guy) in that no one knew what happened to Morgenson...except that his story was finally solved in 2001. The Last Season won a National Outdoor Book Award.

Another plus 1 for The Last Season by Eric Blehm. Its a really good book. The author actually went on hikes as part of the search, before publishing the book. I found it interesting that the ranger, Randy Morgenson, was family friends with Ansel Adams, and well aware of the Everett Ruess story.

I'm intrigued by the Blehm book. On the list for when I finish Wild. Can't go to Strayer's FB page @JulieKT until I finish it, but I'll check it out once I'm done. My wife told me today that Reese Witherspoon is starring in the movie. Wish she hadn't told me, now I'm going to picture Reese as the character throughout the rest of the book.

When I think of outdoor or adventure books there are a bunch that come to mind.

Into Thin Air was one of the first that I read. I've always loved the mountains and the epic true tale of weather, misfortune, overconfidence, loss, and survival always gets me.

Into the Wild, another Krakauer,
inspired me to get out of my comfort zone and explore.

Eiger Dreams, once again Krakauer, a collection of short stories he wrote about different things, but the title story was what I loved. The Eiger is one of those incredible mountains that I would love to just see.

Touching the Void, by Joe Simpson, describes with great detail the dynamics of a climbing team and the aftermath of our decisions.

Explorations, by John Wesley Powell, this book was exciting because he explored, with one arm mind you, so many of the areas of southern Utah that are still relatively untouched. I want to float/explore the entire Green River from the head waters in the Windrivers to the confluence with the Colorado. Thank you John.

I will mention a classic writer now. One whose descriptive prose has inspired many to chase all things wild. Jack London. My first memory is To Build a Fire which had me longing for warmth. White Fang, enough said. And last, but on the top of my London list Call of the Wild. An adventure through and through. Although fiction they illicit emotions for adventure and journey every time.

You've all given me quite a few more to add to my 'Hurry up and read' list. This is a great conversation.

@Vegan.Hiker, From what I saw of the trailer, Reese Witherspoon actually seemed to look pretty reasonable in the part (meaning not all Reese Witherspoon-y, ha).

@TannerT, oh yes to London's "To Build A Fire." I read that in junior high, I think, and its stark reality never left me. All the books you posted are great outdoor reads, imo.

+1 on Call of the Wild. Especially if your a dog lover.

@JulieKT - I actually like Reese Witherspoon and think she's a decent actress (thought she was good on Water For Elephants), I just meant that when I'm reading a book, I like to let my imagination paint the imagery but now I'll be picturing an actual person instead. No biggie though.

I always see the John Muir books at my outfitter and almost always pick one up off the shelf and contemplate buying it. Did you find his musings to still be relevant to hiking/backpacking in the modern day, or did you find it read more like an historical account of the early preservation movement?

His method of stuffing a few pieces of bread under his belt on one side, and a notebook on the other aren't what we would do anymore. His enthusiasm is what I really enjoyed. I've not yet been to Yosemite, and it certainly lit a fire to do so sooner. Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask if it's relevant though, I teach history for a living.

I'll mention Craig Childs in this thread. I've enjoyed all the books of his I've read. I would say it's adventure/hiking stories, but it's not, "I packed this," but more musings/first person narrative.

I just finished reading Wild last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't want to watch the movie trailer until I was done with the book. So I just watched it and now I'm looking forward to seeing the movie as well.

While I obviously couldn't relate with her own personal reasons for being on the trail, I could relate to her approach to hiking. I know that some people view hiking/backpacking as sport, and I don't disparage that notion one bit. I have great respect for peakbaggers and those who conquer great challenges in the wilderness. I even challenge myself with small goals sometimes. But hiking as sport has never really been my mental approach. I see hiking more as a means of self-reflection and having a relationship with nature. When I first started hiking, I'd find a quiet spot off the trail to whittle, content to just be by myself in the woods. This book reminded me of why I started hiking in the first place. There's no better way to learn about yourself than being alone on the trail.

I'm going to download The Last Season as suggested by @JulieKT and @Joey and start that one next.