Long Lake, October 4-5 2014

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
October has proved unseasonably mild in Utah this year. I took advantage of this for a late-season overnighter in the Uintas on Saturday the 4th. Snow had already fallen above about 10,000 feet but it stacked up only in patches and wasn't yet an obstacle. Unfortunately, I didn't get started on the trail to 6 p.m.

_MG_6080.jpg

Although I'd hoped to get as far as Island Lake from the Crystal Lake TH, I had to stop at Long Lake when I lost daylight and temperatures started to drop. But that's getting ahead of the narrative. Conditions were prime for a walk in the woods prior to sundown.

_MG_6091.jpg

The light peaked as I crossed the shoulder north of Haystack Mountain. The setting sun turned Mount Watson's south face gold.

Golden Watson by ashergrey, on Flickr

Testing out the new Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS was a major motivator for this quick trip. I swapped out the f/2.8L for the new variant. The venerable f/2.8L is well-known for its gorgeous sunstars. The new lens doesn't have quite the same touch.

_MG_6102.jpg

The image stabilization on the new lens had not been a major selling point for me, but I gave it a workout shooting handheld during the blue hour.

_MG_6106.jpg

Most photographers will say image stabilization is unneeded on such a wide lens, since a steady-handed user can get reasonable results down to shutter speeds around 1/30 or better. But in use, the IS allowed me to keep shooting at a lower ISO for longer while going handheld.

_MG_6112.jpg

For someone who often shoots on the go, I can see IS helping getting those quick pictures when you just can't be bothered to stop and set up the tripod.

_MG_6125.jpg

October Meadow by ashergrey, on Flickr

The light failed as I was shooting around the ponds on the outskirts of Long Lake. I donned the headlamp and started looking for a place to pitch camp.

My path looks a little erratic on the map because I was following the old trail alignment displayed on the USGS topos. More modern maps reflect more recent changes.

[PARSEHTML]<iframe src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3847512/GPS/Long_Lake.kml&t=t4" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="800" height="800"></iframe><br><br>[/PARSEHTML]A rather loud and obnoxious group had set up camp on the north-western shore of the lake, so I picked a spot on the opposite bank. While setting camp, the other group proceeded to flash my campsite with a green laser. Their dogs barked and kids shouted their heads off. It left me feeling pretty annoyed for not getting an earlier start.

A three-quarter moon lit the landscape nicely.

_MG_6137.jpg

A long-exposure of Long Mountain from the Lake's shoreline.

Long Lake Stars by ashergrey, on Flickr

The cold started to gnaw. I went on the hunt for firewood.

IMG_2986.JPG

Some green branches had been cut and left to dry on the ground by previous campers. The prior week's snow had left the wood damp. While I'd never condone cutting from a live plant, I burned these because the damage had already been done.

The night felt long and cold. I'm guessing overnight lows were in the high 20s or low 30s. During the dragging hours I kept finding myself with cold spots from rolling off the air mattress tucked in my hammock.

IMG_3006.JPG

When morning came, it felt quite the struggle to dress and get moving. A chilling breeze moved over the area.

Long Lake Sunrise by ashergrey, on Flickr

I took a walk with the camera around the south end of the lake as the sun crept up off to the east.

_MG_6161.jpg

_MG_6166.jpg

The annoying group on the far side of the lake hadn't even stirred by the time I returned.

_MG_6178.jpg

Autumn Frost by ashergrey, on Flickr

_MG_6154.jpg

Time came to pack up and head for home.

_MG_6167.jpg

The chilly morning soon warmed and I said goodbye to the high country for the year.

IMG_3015.JPG

[PARSEHTML]<iframe src="http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?q=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3847512/GPS/Long_Lake_return.kml&t=t4" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" width="800" height="800"></iframe><br><br>[/PARSEHTML]
Featured image for homepage:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures of a great area. Looks like the new camera is treating you well. Personally I won't backpack in that area because of the crowds. If you leave the trail you can usually find something resembling absoute solitude.

Crowds weren't bad because of the lateness of the season. It was just one rude group, unfortunately. I'd have preferred to hike on the north slope but my beater car was in the shop so I had to hike somewhere accessible by pavement.

As always, your pictures are beautiful. What's your new camera with the internal stabilization? It sounds like you'd recommend it?