New guy here

Welcome aboard! I've been wondering when all you backpacker posters where going to head this way after the new "makeover" turned out so badly. Its a pretty sweet site over here.

I'm unfamiliar. What did backpacker do.

Ben,
Backpacker spent a year trying to put together a new site and forum. They tried to roll it out a couple of times during that year and it was so non-functional they had to pull it back. After they finally rolled out the forum out for good, it had so many problems that rather than put up with such a crappy site, a lot of people bailed. They even lost most of the last year of conversation! Backpacker doesn't act like they care much and after about a month of saying they were going to fix things - pretty much nothing has been fixed.

Over at the *packer site pages load slow, navigation is slow or not at all, kicks you out, it lost everything from current to 10 months ago. I suspect they want everyone to migrate to their facebook page.. .... for starters. I pretty much bailed way before there new and improved rollout....for other reasons...

Welcome, you will find great people here and a webmaster that cares about the site..... :)

Unitahiker,
In about an hour I can be at the Buffalo National River (class 1 - 2) or Richland Creek (class 3 -4). I can hit several other creeks in the 2 - 3 range within a half an hour. The only problem with our creeks is they are all rain dependent if you want real whitewater but they still have good fishing even if you have to drag the canoe over a shoal in the summer time. The Buffalo is a wonderful place to canoe camp.
My avatar is me on Big Piney Creek which is about 20 minutes from the house.

Unitahiker,
In about an hour I can be at the Buffalo National River (class 1 - 2) or Richland Creek (class 3 -4). I can hit several other creeks in the 2 - 3 range within a half an hour. The only problem with our creeks is they are all rain dependent if you want real whitewater but they still have good fishing even if you have to drag the canoe over a shoal in the summer time. The Buffalo is a wonderful place to canoe camp.
My avatar is me on Big Piney Creek which is about 20 minutes from the house.

That sound you just heard is my wife's jealousy...thanks. Oh, and mine too. ;)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A New guy here needed assistance! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Honk34 New guy from SE WY Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Rockskipper Afraid to hike alone? Go with this guy - or maybe not. General Discussion 2
T Old guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
McKee80 Shenandoah - Old Fat Guy in a Swimming Hole Backpacking 6
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
boulder Another new guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
M New guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
R That new guy..... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
Shirt357 One guy unprepared... General Discussion 1
verticallychallengedguide New Guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Kelin New Guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
N New guy. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 14
DudefromOhio New guy checking in. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Vegan.Hiker New guy from NJ Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Jeff Hilton new guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 5
jentzschman New guy Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
T 0° lightweight bag options for a big guy Gear 5
Bill The Corona Arch guy... General Discussion 0
Spud Spud here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
balzaccom Good Sierra History here General Discussion 1
Bootsnhammocks Hi new here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Parma Has Anyone Here Done Alta Via 1? Trip Planning 25
Bob Mosquitos - Here are a few General Discussion 3
Bob Winter is Here ..... General Discussion 11
Rockskipper Lunar eclipse shots anyone? Post 'em here. Photography 10
The Trout Whisperer Show me th cold, icy and snow pics…Burnin up here in Texas! General Discussion 35
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
Bob Winter is here ...... General Discussion 41
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
priz1234 Been here for awhile already Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Laura V. Hello. I'm noob here. Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Perry 5.7 mag Earthquake in Salt Lake City Area - Check in Here to Let Us Know You're Okay General Discussion 44
J Great to be here! Heading to White Pocket next month... Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
MikeM Any soccer fans here? Meet Up (Members Only) 6
NorthwestWanderer Anyone here accidentally stumble upon illegal grow operations? General Discussion 17
lyoungjcmo New old timer here from Missouri Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Coomba Hello everyone, noob from Idaho here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 8
AbinadiWitness New here, not new to the wilds. :) Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
IcyJ Yet another noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
J Noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
JDWalters East Coast noob here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7
Brian Skibbe New "noob" backpacker from Kansas here! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 2
Amy Quest Noob here! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
BZ Adventures North Idaho Backpacker and new bride signing in here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
krough Happy to be here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Overthebars Finally here! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
someguy Hi, I'm new here Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
crazydoghiker Hey Hikers, new gal here from SLC area Noobs: Introduce yourself! 6
J History Teacher here planning a backpacking trip for my students to Death Hollow...... Trip Planning 14