Wapiti Lake, Sour Creek - YNP - August 30, 2014

scatman

On August 30th, a group of four of us which included a forum poster @Joey , began an eight day backpacking trip into Yellowstone National Park. We started by hiking into Ribbon Lake on the first night, on the second night we camped at Moss Creek before moving on day three to Wapiti Lake. We stayed at Wapiti for two nights with an off-trail hike to the Hot Spring Basin Group which is located a few miles north of Wapiti Lake. Day five took us to our campsite on Broad Creek where again we camped for two nights. The second day on Broad Creek took us on a day hike to explore the White Lake / Tern Lake area of the Park. Day seven was a bushwhack down Sour Creek to Wrangler Lake. On day eight we completed the loop, hiking from Wrangler Lake back to the trailhead. Total mileage, including day hikes, was approximately 53 miles.

Day 1 – Wapiti Lake Trailhead to campsite 4R2 on Ribbon Lake (3.3 miles)

We reached the Wapiti Lake Trailhead at approximately 11:00 am to pouring rain. After waiting about fifteen minutes, we agreed to head back to the Canyon Village lounge to wait out the storm. At 2:30 in the afternoon we were staring out the window to a rain/snow mix. My morale for the trip was beginning to sink a bit as I really didn’t want to start the trip in a hard rain. At 3:30 the intensity of the rain slowed dramatically and we decided to go for it and drove back to the trailhead. By the time we got all our gear organized and ready if was 4:00 pm and the rain had stopped. We hiked on a muddy trail, passing Clear Lake, a thermal area just east of the lake and a glimpse down into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone before reaching Ribbon Lake. It took us an hour and a half to reach Ribbon Lake and once there we hurriedly set up camp and started dinner. About fifteen minutes into dinner, the sky cut loose again and it would rain hard until 11:00 am the next morning.

14986333387_e0a6af5a04_b.jpgMy partners in crime

14985882270_2578d25226_b.jpgClear Lake

15169523781_b7d2ddb441_k.jpgRibbon Lake

Day 2 – campsite 4R2 on Ribbon Lake to campsite 4M2 on Moss Creek (6.2 miles)

We didn’t emerge from our tents until 11:00 in the morning when the rain finally let up. We ate breakfast then broke down a wet camp before hitting the trail around 1:00 pm. We hike in light rain a good portion of the way to Moss Creek. After my last trip a couple of weeks earlier across the Pitchstone Plateau with consecutive days of endless rain, I begin to wonder if I’m cursed this summer when it comes to the weather. We trudge on and finally make it to 4M2 on Moss Creek. To our surprise, the campsite is occupied with six people from Kansas City, who were supposed to move on to the campsite a Joseph Coat Springs but did not due to the weather. In Yellowstone, there are only a couple of sites where they let multiple parties stay together overnight and 4M2 was not one of those sites. The folks from KC were nice enough though and they shared their fire and grain alcohol with us. Early in the night, it began to rain hard again and would not let up until around six in the morning.

14986132049_4fe17ede7e_k.jpgOn the trail to Moss Creek

Day 3 – campsite 4M2 on Moss Creek to campsite 4W2 on Wapiti Lake (8.0 miles)

After the rain stopped in the morning, it remained overcast for the first part of the day but the rain held off as we hiked towards Wapiti Lake. I enjoy the hike today to Wapiti, we start off hiking through the lodgepole forest before breaking out of the trees and catching a glimpse of the Absarokas to the east before beginning to drop down to Broad Creek and its lovely meadows. We reach Broad Creek and have our first ford of the trip. The ford is only knee deep and we take our time putting our boots back on on the north side of the creek because the sun has popped out. At this point it is only a couple of miles to Wapiti and we hurry to get to camp. Campsite 4W2 is a wonderful site located on a small peninsula that juts out into north side of the lake. We set up our camp and grab a bite to eat before it gets dark. A bull moose beds down just to the north of our campsite and we will share the lake with him for two days.

14985790239_03395bdc04_k.jpgView before dropping down to Broad Creek

15172506835_ffcd5a5e81_k.jpgWapiti Lake

Day 4 – Day hike from campsite 4W2 on Wapiti Lake to the Hot Spring Basin Group (approximately 8 miles)

Today we follow Shallow Creek north to the Hot Spring Basin Group which is a large thermal area that includes numerous hot springs, mud pots and Fumaroles, of various sizes and shapes. On our way to the Group, we find a bison skull next to Shallow Creek. We spend the whole day exploring the area and on our way back to camp we cross a set of bear track along Shallow Creek that were not there when we hiked in. Back at camp, the moose is grazing along the northwest end of the lake. I could watch him all night, but I eat dinner and then call it a day.

15172109642_a8a071484c_k.jpgShallow Creek

15172413865_578666bcd7_k.jpgMud pots in the Hot Spring Basin Group

14986172608_64c1ec7ad0_k.jpg
Bear track in the gravel along Shallow Creek

Day 5 – from campsite 4W2 on Wapiti Lake to campsite 5B1 on Broad Creek (3 miles)

This is an easy day, essentially following Broad Creek most of the way to campsite 5B1. At the campsite, we have to ford Broad Creek for the second time. After setting up camp, I walked to the meadows north of our tent sites and sit down to watch the wind moving through the long grasses of the meadows and hillsides that surround Broad Creek. I spend a couple of hours just enjoying the silence and remoteness of the area before heading back to camp for dinner.

15172328035_2af6cb8a77_k.jpgBroad Creek and meadows

Day 6 – a day hike from campsite 5B1 to White Lake and back (9 miles)

We woke up to frozen water bottles this morning. My thermometer says 27 degrees, and there is frost on the meadows. We eat breakfast and are off, hiking south to White Lake along the Astringent Creek Trail. Once the trail begins to leave Broad Creek, it is time to off-trail hike to White Lake to the west. We find a location where wildlife have been fording Broad Creek and decide this is where we will. The water is very dark, full of organic matter, and it is hard to judge how deep the crossing will be. We all cross without incident and proceed up a small hill that overlooks White Lake. We drop down to the lake and hike up the east side. There are a lot of bones along the shoreline of the lake and the sun has gone behind a cloud that keeps us in the shade for most of our time on the lake. Because of the bones and the chill in the air, this lake has a rather eerie feeling to it. We stop along the north side and eat a late lunch. There is an Island on the north side of the lake that has at least two elk on it. I wonder what made them cross the water to the island, wolves perhaps. After finishing lunch, we head to an unnamed pond between White Lake and Tern Lake. We then hiked to Tern Lake where we followed the western and northern shores. We saw Pelicans, ducks and swans on Tern Lake. After hiking along the north side of the lake we had to ford Broad Creek once again. This crossing turned out to be waste deep through black mucky water. After crossing, we hop back on the Astringent Creek Trail and head back to camp. We eat and turn in early for our big day tomorrow.

14985720547_01df12851f_k.jpgWhite Lake

Day 7 – campsite 5B1 on Broad Creek to campsite 4W1 on Wrangler Lake, off-trail along Sour Creek (approximately 11.5 miles)

Another frozen morning! I set out ahead of the rest of the group this morning. I ford Broad Creek, leaving my Tevas on as I hike down the trail another ten minutes before fording it again. My feet are frozen and I search out a patch of sunlight to help me warm up as I dry my feet and put my socks and boots back on. The rest of the group catches up to me and we make our way to Fern Lake. After stopping to take a few pictures of the lake, we follow the trail for another half mile to the headwaters of Sour Creek. At this point we begin our off-trail portion of the day. The meadows along the headwaters are gorgeous and there are a few lone bull bison that we have to maneuver around. We pass through an area with a bunch of thermal features collectively known as Ponuntpa Springs. After leaving the springs, we head into the trees where we are able to pick up a game trail that we follow for a bit. Eventually the trail heads into a burn area on the north side of Sour Creek where it becomes virtually impossible to follow. We cross the creek to stay out of the burn but it eventually overtakes us on the south side of the creek. At this point the going gets awfully slow. We proceed through the burn trying to choose the path of least resistance. Occasionally this puts us down by the creek, while at other times we would have to gain the ridge above the creek, all the time climbing up and over endless downfall. Open areas soon became extremely marshy and difficult to traverse. Some missteps put us up to our waists in water and mud. There were large mossy areas that were very spongy. It felt like you were trying to run through very deep, soft sand for extended periods of time. All in all, it took us 10.5 hours to hike the 11.5 miles to Wrangler Lake. We had wanted to investigate Dewdrop Lake and the area around Bog Creek but just flat ran out of time. We were worn out by the time we reached Wrangler Lake but thankful that we reached it just before dark. We ended up crossing Sour Creek seventeen times along the way.

14985655168_110a8653aa_k.jpgSour Creek

15172181582_7476a647d1_k.jpgSour Creek

14986009148_45b166546a_k.jpgWrangler Lake

Day 8 – campsite 4W1 on Wrangler Lake to the Wapiti Lake Trailhead (4 miles)

We slept in on our last day before starting back to the trailhead. We had to ford Sour Creek one last time and ran into many bison on the way out.

15172220755_e16a5fecd0_k.jpgBison along the Wrangler Lake Trail
Thoughts - Another great trip. A pretty easy backpacking trip except for the day down Sour Creek. Wildlife seen included : elk, deer, moose, bison, pelicans, swans, hawks, eagle, geese, osprey, sandhill cranes, ducks. The Hot Spring Basin Group is definitely worth seeing.

To those who want to see all my images, here is the link

Wapiti Lake / Sour Creek Images

Enjoy.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice, would have liked to make it with you... Guess I have two strikes now on your trips.... Did you go down Sour Creek to the Yellowstone River? then thru Hayden back to TH? That's a route I have been looking at.

Looks like you got some of the bad weather we had in the Winds.

For as much as I've done in Yellowstone, I have never backpacked. I'll need to pick your brain on all of these trips. Thank you very much for sharing.

Salud!

Hey @Bob , three strikes and you're out. :) We didn't hike all the way to the Yellowstone along Sour Creek. We turned up a drainage and came up along the backside of Wrangler Lake, then hiked out on the normal trail the next day.

I think we did catch some of your weather. We were lucky to catch a two hour window on the first day. We were able to hike in and get camp set up before it cut loose again. It saved us from being soaking wet for the first couple of days.

@TannerT - If you have any questions about backpacking in the Park, please feel free to ask.

@uintahiker - After the first three days the weather was perfect for backpacking.

Head south my friend. Not TOO far south though. Just 30 minutes or so. I kid of course. Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy the read.

@kcwins - If I head too far south then I'm out of grizzly country and thus my comfort zone. :) The Tetons are on my bucket list and I understand you're the guy to lead the way. So much to see, yet so little time to see it - maybe in 2017 or 18.

Whoa............that's planning ahead. What are you looking at for next year?
I' m maybe try for the north part Winds again :confused:
Maybe Bighorn Crags..
And I need to get back to Yellowstone, still a few spots there

Another nice report @scatman! I was way off thinking you were going in through Pelican Valley. Can't wait to get back to Yellowstone next year.

@Bob - This is what my schedule looks like going forward:

Summer of 2015 - 8 or 9 day loop of the Gros Ventres, which you are more than welcome to join our rag-tag bunch on (have 3 committed, includes myself). A group of three day hikes in Yellowstone - the first will be to Delusion Lake via the Riddle Lake Trail then off-trail along Solution Creek before cutting over to Delusion. The second will be following DeLacy Creek to DeLacy Lakes. The third is still in the works, I'll either explore more of the Howard Eaton Trail that I have yet to do, or search for the old South Entrance Trail, or perhaps return to Beach Lake which I have done twice before and I think it is a great day hike. I'll be staying at the Grant Village Campground for four nights while doing the hikes.

Summer of 2016 - A Wind River trip (8-11 days?) that heads north to south and starts at Green River Lakes and ends at Big Sandy Campground with some off-trail stuff thrown in along the way. I read someone's trip report a couple of years ago and thought the route would be nice to try. It looks like it is about 78 miles in length. The second trip will potentially be a return to Glacier National Park. I have promised @Joey that I would do a trip with him to his favorite park. A third trip might be to the Mirror Plateau in Yellowstone during the two week period when the campsites on Upper Pelican Creek and Opal Creek are available to reserve.

Summer of 2017 - I have promised my son that if he earns at least a "B" average in high school that I would take him on the John Muir Trail in the Sierras. So I guess that fits in here. A potential off-trail hike in Yellowstone (area undetermined) might be thrown in too.

Somewhere in all of this, I would like to hike the Highline Trail in the Uintas and a loop around the Sawtooths, but not sure where to fit them in. So it looks like 2018 for a Teton run if @kcwins will lead the way.

Gro Ventres would be good.....

Winds lengthwise......been there done that (see report in Resource section on BCP). Trying to finish the original northern part we wanted to do (mostly on the East side from Camp Lake to Faler Lake)

Mirror Plateau ..... been trying to get there. The year I got the campsites a fire canceled us. Was going from Specimin Ridge, Mirror, Waipati lk, Sour crk, LeHardy area back north thru Hayden to Canyon.

Sawtooths are always good...

Could do Tetons again ( north end). South side too crowded.

Great trip report Hugh! And as always, you are an awesome hiking partner! I know you weren't feeling well the entire trip with your cough, but it never slowed you down.

My thoughts on this trip and the area:

I really liked it. Great weather after the rain helped, but it was just beautiful country. I put this right up there with the Thorofare area. Its not quite as vast, but it has that same wild feeling. Its right in the heart of Yellowstone, and it had all the wilderness factors I love about NW Wyoming. Thick grizzly bear territory. Very active thermal areas. Deep woods, beautiful lakes, untouched meadows, and all sorts of wildlife. I imagine this is what most of the park looked like before the fires.

The Sour Creek route was tough, but so worth it. One of the few places I've gone, where I've never heard of anyone else going before. And I've asked around. The meadows at the beginning and end were classic Yellowstone. The downfall in the fire burn areas sucked, but that's part of the adventure. I will definitely be going back thru there again, but will likely split it into 2 days, and get an off trail camping permit to camp along the creek.

The campsite on Wapiti Lake is one of my favorite campsites in the park. Both sites are great, but the one on the peninsula was perfect. The lake itself was lovely.

Hot Springs Basin Group is way, way better than the Fairylands. I understand the lure of Fairylands, but it is so small and simple. Hot Springs could be explored for several days. And the thermal lakes almost looked like something in the Caribbean. Another place I will go back to.

Tern Lake, and the meadows around it was awesome. Probably my favorite part of the trip. Love those swampy lakes in Yellowstone, with all the waterfowl on it. Unburned too, which is a plus. Great place to watch for wildlife.

White lake is creepy. The lake of death. For those of you who don't know, there used to be a backcountry campsite here, until a German girl was pulled out of her tent and killed by a Grizzly (1984 I think, and they never found the bear). Search the "surgical strike" under bear attacks. Its the only time that has happened inside the park. There is an old trail going along the north side of the lake, easy to follow. Lots of animal bones, and thermal activity along the shoreline. The west side of the lake was beautiful though. Although it was sunny the whole day when we hiked here, a large dark cloud suddenly appeared when we reached the lake. It blocked the sun, making things cold and eerie, and didn't move until we left the lake. Spooky.

Wrangler lake is much better than I remembered it. In my opinion, this is one of the better intro backpacking trips to take into Yellowstone. Easy one nighter, no elevation gain/loss, and a pretty lake. The campsite doesn't have a great view, but its close to the lake. Wolves are common here, but we didn't see/hear them this time. And the meadows around Sour Creek are awesome.

Just an awesome trip. I already can't wait to go back there to explore it more. Thanks again @scatman. Looking forward to our next adventure in a few weeks!

Here are several video clips from this trip. Its possible that clicking the HD Button will make the videos better. (I think I finally figure out how to post in HD, but not sure). Enjoy!

Breakfast the morning of day 2, at Ribbon Lake

Me on the evening of day 2, sharing a camp with another group of backpackers. The were nice enough to give us a bottle of ever clear.

Hiking through the woods to Wapiti Lake. I happened to have my camera out, and catch our friend step in some mud. (Explicit)

The meadows around Broad Creek, taken from the trail up to Wapiti Lake

Our camp for nights 3 and 4, on a tiny peninsula on Wapiti Lake

The moose that was hanging around our camp on Wapiti Lake

Being silly on our off trail to Hot Springs Basin Group

Hot Springs Basin Group

A view of Tern Lake and its meadows, from the trail

Another view of Tern Lake

Crossing some murky water to reach White Lake

A view of White Lake, towards the western side

Fern Lake, and its funky green water at its foot.

I froze my water filter, and had to use the life straw filter along Sour Creek

Crossing Broad Creek from camp, early morning of day 7. It was still in the 20's, and frosty

A very cool Hot Spring Pool, not far down the Sour Creek Meadows, right after we left the trail and were dodging Buffalo

The big meadows at the beginning of Sour Creek

One of our many crossings of Sour Creek.

Following Sour Creek, near our exit point to Wrangler Lake

Finally making it to Wrangler Lake

Setting up camp at Wrangler Lake

@scatman 's thoughts on Sour Creek, the morning after

Hiking out our last day through meadows, passing a lone bison. Some of us steer clear, but @scatman is fearless

And finally, me proving that white men really can't jump, along Sour Creek on the last few miles of the trip

Summer of 2016 - A third trip might be to the Mirror Plateau in Yellowstone during the two week period when the campsites on Upper Pelican Creek and Opal Creek are available to reserve.

This one is tops on the list for me. I'm going to wait on you to do this one, need to get Keith in on this as well.

Mirror Plateau ..... been trying to get there. The year I got the campsites a fire canceled us. Was going from Specimin Ridge, Mirror, Waipati lk, Sour crk, LeHardy area back north thru Hayden to Canyon.

Exactly the trip I want to do. Were you going to stay at the off trail campsites on the Mirror Plateau?

Yes. Remote site on Amythest Mt, both off trail sites on Mirror, down around the lakes to remote site in Sour near leHardy Rapids, then across Hayden Valley back to Canyon and the truck.

Yes. Remote site on Amythest Mt, both off trail sites on Mirror, down around the lakes to remote site in Sour near leHardy Rapids, then across Hayden Valley back to Canyon and the truck.
How far in advance did you have to apply for those sites to get approval? As in the remote sites. That is an awesome trip.

What ever the deadline in winter/spring was....can't remember. Sent in the $20 by mail. Ended up going in at Delacy Crk, to Shoshone lk, down Bechler, across and out to the S Entrance station.... was a good trip as well. Never resent to the Mirror Plateau to go there yet, haven't got around to it .

Another nice report @scatman! I was way off thinking you were going in through Pelican Valley. Can't wait to get back to Yellowstone next year.

Ditto for me on next year, though I will be heading up to Arizona Creek in the Teton Wilderness (close) over the Columbus Day weekend.