Watching the salmon; our one and only trip

Eric Christensen

Let the Wookie go hiking
I meant to get out several more times and several other places this year, my two boys and my first year of overnight or longer backpacking trips. However, due to health and timing reasons, we were only able to get in this one hike. The boys had a half day off of school, so we threw in the gear and headed for the salmon run at Causey reservoir.

We got a later start than I had hoped for, we were all home by 1:45 but did not leave till about 3:30. To save some time we ate dinner in the car on the way, this also kept my pack weight down to make the hike through skull crack canyon a bit quicker.

When we pulled into the trail head/boat launch parking, there were a few cars, but my biggest concern was the medium sized group of scouts loading their canoes with gear and setting out towards the lake. I made a point to ask where they were heading as I remember from my one other time being there, camping spots can be scarce. Of course they were heading right where we were. About that time I found one of my water bladders had a leak and much of our extra clothes were soaked. Then, an even larger group of scouts, 6 canoes, rounded the corner. I threw on our packs and told the boys, on yer bike, we gotta beat them there for a good spot, and away we went.

One of the first grand views rounding the trail coming away from the boat launch area
Causey 9-14 001.jpg

My boys, excited to finally be out hiking
Causey 9-14 002.jpg

Given my health issues, I was not sure how I would do, but being as it is a fairly easy trail, we all were great and enjoying every minute.
Causey 9-14 003.jpg

Not only did we get to see the salmon, but the leaves were putting on quite the show too.
Causey 9-14 006.jpg

Causey 9-14 008.jpg
Causey 9-14 011.jpg
It was starting to get dark, so we double timed it the last quarter mile or so and got in the same time as the first group of scouts. The boys immediately spotted the salmon and were in awe, watching as they swam and splashed their way upstream, while some that had completed their natural duty, turned on their side and surrendered to the stream's flow. Jack and Matt were buzzing up and down the stream, "look at this one. WOW this one is big. Woah, that one just died..." It was more than a proud dad could take, watching my pride and joy's enjoying nature, treating it with the respect and awe that it deserves.

Sadly, because of the dark, this is about the best shot I took of the salmon.
Causey 9-14 012.jpg

I set out to find a good spot to set up camp, before all the scouts could take the best spots and I found a sand bar that was perfect for us. At that same time, as my boys were playing and I was setting up camp, the scouts had taken to pummeling the salmon with rocks and sticks. Now I know this is how scouts are, but I still had a hard time with it and had a chat with my boys about how it might look like fun, but these fish are doing something amazing... they understood and went about enjoying watching the cycle rather than interrupting it.

Because it was getting dark, I sadly did not get any shots of our perfect camp spot on the sand, but it was enjoyable. We had a small fire, then after talking by the fire for awhile, they started to yawn and asked to go to bed. It was a cool night but made for great sleeping with the stream next to us. I woke many times to hear the fish still struggling against the current, tails swishing wildly slapping the water and rocks.

The only shot of our camp.
Causey 9-14 016.jpg

I had packed pancakes for breakfast. The boys went about watching the salmon as I prepared breakfast. It was slow, one hotcake at a time in my 30 yr old military mess kit on my new $5 pack stove. (Best $5 spent on amazon ever!) Matt told me they were the best pancakes ever! I even packed in the syrup.

We were in a hurry again, the boys had a friends birthday party to get to. So we quickly cleaned and packed, did our duty to leave no trace, and each find a few more items to pack out left by others so we can be sure to do our part and enjoy this spot for another time. Away we went, oddly enough at the same time as the scouts again. We got back at the same time as them again.

Looking down on camp from the trail
Causey 9-14 017.jpg

On the way back, we ran into several great families heading in, stopping to chat and give a report on the salmon. Matt loves dogs and had to stop and pet Goliath, a nice, big retriever. We took a picture for them and continued on.

Where we stopped to take a picture for some nice people and pet Goliath
Causey 9-14 019.jpg

Happily, we made it back in time for the party and other than a few near misses with horse doody, horses and scouts, we had a fantastic trip!!! Only teasing us, wanting more. I highy suggest the late summer trip to skull crack canyon at Causey to view the salmon run.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Sounds like the boys had a great time and learned some important lessons from you about respecting wildlife. Trips like these with my dad have left deep impressions and long lasting memories. I am sure this trip will do the same for your boys.

I think the most memorable trips I ever went on were with my kids. Reading your report conjured up some good memories.