Fish & Owl Creek Canyons Prep

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
I'm doing the Fish & Owl loop the second week in April.

I'm planning on going down Fish & up Owl. Based on what I've read Fish is mostly dry, but can be found starting 2 miles above the confluence in Fish to the confluence. Also that there are several springs in Owl.
Does anyone have knowledge on where to find reliable water in either of these canyons, especially springs and swimming holes. GPS or other location data is appreciated.

I know that it is bad form to post locations of ruins on public sites. So, if you have any info on finding or getting to any of the ruins found in and around these canyons would you please PM me with info. Much thanks.

I've also read that coming up Owl that you have to take a side canyon to avoid a pour off and that you have to take a particular fork, which is easy to miss, to exit Owl.

Any other tips or first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. I should point out that we have two great TR here on BCP .

@ben cowan has a great TR on the area here

@TheDunedain has one here

Last edited:
when we did it six weeks earlier in the year there was no shortage of water. so i don't know about springs. routes were cairned for the entrances and exits of the canyons, i believe by blm rangers. there is a very obvious ruin under an overhang near the trail head in owl, in good condition.

Fish is very steep. I would recommend climbing out of it rather than down it. Last year this time of the year water was plentiful in Owl. You'll wander upon pools and streams while walking the trail. In Fish there was a 6 - 8 mile stretch before the confluence that was dry. If your looking for ruins check out Bullet Canyon in the Grand Gulch.

Is there any walking through water like Coyote Gulch?

I have done the loop twice, although it has been a while. I do not recall any wading or walking through water. BTW I like your route, the climb down into Fish might be a little sketchy, but you know the capabilities of your group. You might take a little walk up Fish when you enter, as hardly anyone ventures past the "normal exit" when climbing out ....it might be worth it. :)

When we were there water was high as it had rained, and was still raining. Nearly every where though both creeks were still small enough you could just hop across. Should be safe to plan on not getting your feet wet if you don't want to.

I have done the loop twice, although it has been a while. I do not recall any wading or walking through water. BTW I like your route, the climb down into Fish might be a little sketchy, but you know the capabilities of your group. You might take a little walk up Fish when you enter, as hardly anyone ventures past the "normal exit" when climbing out ....it might be worth it. :)
Cool-thanks! Looks like there lots in lower FIsh, but i havent read anything about upper Fish. Is there much to see?

When we were there water was high as it had rained, and was still raining. Nearly every where though both creeks were still small enough you could just hop across. Should be safe to plan on not getting your feet wet if you don't want to.

Thanks. Based on your photos I thought as much, but decided I'd better make sure.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Wanderlust073 Owl Creek - Fish Creek Loop, Oct 15-17 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
IntrepidXJ Owl & Fish Creek Canyons Backpacking 6
Matt Morse Fish and Owl Creek Loop Trip Planning 0
R Owl and Fish Creek loop - Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 4
Wanderlust073 Fish and Owl Canyons overnight Backpacking 24
DrNed Fish & Owl Canyons Backpacking 11
Ben Fish and Owl Canyons, Cedar Mesa, UT Backpacking 20
TheDunedain Fish and Owl Canyons Loop October 2011 Backpacking 12
Miya Pikas and Marmots and Fish, Oh Yay! Backpacking 9
Jimmy BANFF: Fish/Devon Lakes/Pipestone Highline Backpacking 5
Nico Wind River - Looking for fish (of the Golden variety) Trip Planning 9
DrNed Aerial Fish Stocking General Discussion 4
Nick Eating Fish Shioyaki Style General Discussion 0
Nick Where to fish near Salt Lake City General Discussion 8
Deadeye008 Fish Lake area of the Uintas Backpacking 10
Dan What's your favorite recipe for cooking backcountry fish? General Discussion 15
Deadeye008 Boulder Mtn & Fish Lake Hiking & Camping 3
Deadeye008 Fish brine(For smoking fish) General Discussion 0
IntrepidXJ Fall Colors on Owl Creek Pass Hiking & Camping 6
IntrepidXJ Dallas Divide & Owl Creek Pass Off Road 5
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
shredhiker Slough Creek mid June? Trip Planning 11
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
BobFink Mirror Plateau via Pelican Valley and Pelican Creek, July / August 2023 Backpacking 12
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
Jackson Little Rock Creek Backpacking 5
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
J South Crandall Creek and the Hoodoos Wyoming and Yellowstone? Trip Planning 3
CodyL Maple Creek or Duck Creek Drainages-YNP Trip Planning 0
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
Dreamer Slough Creek - YNP - 6/5-7/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Blacktail Creek June 2023 Backpacking 4
Dreamer Rescue Creek -YNP - 6/3-5/23 Backpacking 3
shredhiker Slough Creek May 2023 Backpacking 11
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
I Slough Creek - Yellowstone June 5 & 6 Meet Up (Members Only) 19
scatman City Creek Loop - April 23, 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
F Thorofare/South Boundary/Wolverine Creek Trip Planning 2
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
Janice When might road to Salt Creek TH be ok? Trip Planning 23
BobFink Yellowstone South Entrance to Fox Creek via Basin Creek Cutoff - Labor Day 2022 Trip Reports 4
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
MikeP Exploring/Calf Creek Trip Planning 28
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
slieb Lower Muddy Creek in Winter? Trip Planning 7