Paranuweep - Zion NP

Bob

Trailmaster
A 2004 trip from Mt Carmel and out at the Powell Plaque:

DSCN3539.JPG DSCN3541.JPG DSCN3556.JPG DSCN3564.JPG DSCN3575.JPG DSCN3604.JPG P6040017.JPG P6040021.JPG P6040033.JPG P6050039.JPG P6050045.JPG P6050051.JPG P6050071.JPG P6050081.JPG P6060084.JPG

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Last edited:
good to finally see some pictures of it. thanks again.

I'd go again ............. one of my favorites! And I don't go back to many places.

Reactions: Ben
Big bad Diamondback if I remember correctly. My two buddies stepped right over it.....

If dates are right I'm in. What access you looking at?

I've been sitting here looking at all the details. I think for me personally, I'd want to do it unconventionally and go down from the top then exit out French Canyon to the 4WD road. Probably setup the last camp in that area and explore down into The Barracks and up Poverty Wash as day hikes. (or just going in/out there and explore up and down) Might be easier getting through the log jam that way. The big reason I'd do it that way is simply so I can bring my dog. That, and the Checkerboard exit sucks (done it twice). I imagine I could get away with taking her out that way if I had to, but I'd rather not break the rules. Probably not appealing for most people to do it that way though, so I'll probably do it some other time. Has anyone here driven the dirt road out to the edge of French Canyon (near Rock Canyon)? I assume it's HC 4WD, but any other info on it?

The checkerboard climb is a pain. The hike from the end of the dirt road from Mt Carmel is boring for quite a ways (bad horse flys as well). Is French Cyn the one from near Elephant Cove? Don't know that, I think it's Rock Canyon. Could go in via Mineral Gulch or Meadow Cyn back out Rock Cyn. Good camp at Rock Cyn jct.

Yea Nick, I have similar maps. I just looked before you posted. I think it's French, but it's not named on mine. Mineral Gulch or Meadow hits the highway, That road to the Poverty trail is rough, the climb is steep. The pic on the other link shows the dirt road hike part.

I think I have another way in as well, have to look in my stuff.

Ha ........ I collect everything I can find on places I may want to go see. Some I have had for many years. Things like that have a tendency to disappear.

I entered via french, camped near french and exited rock (it was a much longer walk from french to rock than i planned) pretty much what you described nick but skipped the first section of the barrack. It would be difficult to get a dog down french (not impossible but there were a few spots you would need to lower the dog) but rock just had some steep scrambling. Once in Parunuweap We went down as far as we could to the falls but couldn't figure out how to get past one large obstacle. Also explored poverty which was impressive and misery from the bottom as far in as we could get. I also absolutely destroyed my feet with some chacos. Couldnt feel the blisters until it was way too late. The log jam had too much water so we did the rabbit hole and it wasn't bad, with two people could easily pass packs. Road to french was sandy. I think i put it in 4w just because but with some speed probably wasn't needed (jeep is 4 wheel all. I put it in low for a climb or two) can't wait to go back hopefully this spring. I want to see the petroglyphs and caves and 7 arch in mineral (basically the upper part of the barracks)

Got any pics of the French access, Matt? Is it worse than checkerboard exit? Trip report? :) I don't mind getting sage through some tough stuff since she's so small.