Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail water availability

Considering going up Stevens Canyon - Baker Trail to Cliff and loop back down to the Escalante around May 15-25 2024 Does anyone have information about water availability in mid-Stevens Canyon, Cliff potholes, etc.?

That's pushing it into hot/dry season, and any current pothole reports aren't going to be helpful. There's a spring in Stevens just after the Baker Trail turnoff. Also, the grotto just before you pop up onto the slickrock Stevens rim walk may* still have water.

I was in Stevens the 2nd week of May 2020 and 3rd week of May 2022.
The first time, many sources Allen mentions were dry. The "elongated potholes" shortly before the Baker exit were dry and the large spring right after Baker was so pathetic that I couldn't even gather from it and had to go much further to find a random shaded pothole. Lower Stevens had enough water.
The second time, it was much wetter despite the overall water year not having better stats. Potholes were great and the spring was running all the way down to the Baker exit.
Didn't go to Cliff either time--one time back via Fold and the other time up and over to Halls Creek.
You can check old SWE and Precipitation data for that basin to see how it compares to this year, but like I said it seems to not be easily determined. It was also too hot in 2022 by mid-May and I'm trying to do those types of trips earlier from now on.

The Cliff 'pothole' is pretty much a pond. In May it might still be good

March 2023:

7cwVTtu.jpeg

My week of wandering the slickrock around Escalante I saw more water than I have ever seen in all my years of exploring the area......And there is more precipitation on the way so you may be good.

Paying attention to this thread as I plan to be in the area with similar timing.

From the past few days in Stevens below Baker junction. Fools Canyon is also full. Some of the more exposed potholes have dried up, like on the Sleepy Hollow descent.
PXL_20240409_183525301.jpeg

PXL_20240410_140647110.jpeg

PXL_20240410_134207700.jpeg

Past 30 days of precip (the pin marks the town of Escalante)
Screen Shot 2024-04-12 at 9.55.03 AM.png

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
F Stevens Canyon/southern escalate water availability. Trip Planning 16
RyanP Coyote Gulch to Halls Creek via Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 28
fossana Stevens/Fold Canyon loop (Glen Canyon NRA) Backpacking 25
sierrasummits Halls Creek, Moody canyon, Stevens canyon loop ? Trip Planning 5
Nick Stevens Canyon Trip Planning 6
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3
D Stevens Arch Backpacking 0
J Big Escalante Backpack Loop: Stevens/Fold/Bobway/Coyote Gulch April 25-30, 2015 Backpacking 8
J Reflection Canyon Trip Planning 4
fossana Found: prescription glasses near the top of the Flipoff Canyon approach General Discussion 5
Spud Salt Creek Canyon question Trip Planning 11
B Buckskin gulch/Pariah canyon Carpool Trip Planning 0
TractorDoc Paintbrush Canyon / Cascade Canyon Loop -- Grand Teton NP September 11, 2023 Hiking & Camping 9
Kullaberg63 15 day canyon route Backpacking 13
Titans Tricked in the canyon! Hiking & Camping 5
TrailScot Dayhiking the Under-the-Rim Trail - Bryce Canyon NP - October 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
Janice Such a GRAND Canyon - Deer Creek / Tapeats / Thunder River Backpacking 21
M Mee/Knowles Canyon Loop, Grand Junction Colorado Backpacking 4
OldBill Short hike at the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania Hiking & Camping 1
S Paria Canyon- Whitehouse to Lees Ferry, Oct 18 to 21, 2023 Trip Reports 0
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
A Bowdie Canyon Trip Planning 10
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
J Paria Canyon - One Day Trail Trip Planning 10
Bob The New Grand Canyon Trip Planning 1
WhozWutz Invite Horse Canyon Needles Meet Up (Members Only) 1
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 2 - Tour de Canyon Country. Swell Times Hiking & Camping 0
BJett Part 1 - Tour de Canyon Country. Cedar Mesa. Hiking & Camping 8
Gretchen Millward Trachyte Creek via Woodruff Canyon, April 2023 Backpacking 9
F Grand Canyon hermits rest to granite rapids to bright angel Trip Planning 10
gnwatts Stillwater Canyon On The Water 11
shredhiker Kings Canyon July 2022 Kearsarge, Rae, & Sixty Lakes Backpacking 8
J Info needed: Bown's Canyon, Long Canyon Trip Planning 8
Gretchen Millward Cheesebox Canyon, Oct. 2022 Backpacking 14
Stickerbumper Fold Canyon Middle Exit Trip Planning 9
Janice Professor Creek / Mary Jane Canyon - mid April? Trip Planning 0
D Horseshoe Canyon or San Rafael Swell? Trip Planning 9
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
scatman South Ridge of City Creek Canyon - January 28, 2023 Hiking & Camping 4
NorthwestWanderer 8 Day High Sierra trek : Humphreys Basin, Star Col, Granite Park, Lake Italy & Piute Canyon 6/25-7/2/22 Backpacking 7
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
SteveR Big Spring-Elephant Canyon dayhike. With free bonus vacation pix! Hiking & Camping 13
Stephanie B Dirty Devil River Impassible at Poison Springs Canyon Off Road 0
LarryBoy Is there anything technical in White Canyon above the Black Hole? Trip Planning 16
dennisrodman A week in the Grand Canyon / Boucher / Hermit / Tonto Trail Trip Planning 4
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6