Wind River Range - Angel Pass

Couldn't resist adding a couple more pics. Great area. Maybe it'll be of some help. Had to bail on a planned longer trip due to some serious weather predicted. Only had a short window.

View from Hay Pass:
IMG_0254.JPG
View from Round Mtn cutoff towards Timico. Took awhile to find the trail but it's all pretty easy going.
IMG_0269.JPG

Heard some loud noises on top of cutoff. Sounded like rocks being struck together. I figured big horns or elk stomping on rocks not happy with us. Was my nephew's first trip -he was certain it was a griz. Had forgotten my bear spray on top on Hay Pass where we'd got hit with hail and high winds. Did 20+ miles to the car that day to get out before the storm. Both of us swore never to go that far in one day over 2 passes again. Great trip.

When we got caught in that September snowstorm in 2020 in the Tetons, one member of our group was so traumatized from 3 trees falling within ten feet of her tent that she refused to pack up her tent in the morning (we were due to hike out ) A couple of us packed it up anyway. The "never again" was long gone by the time we got back to the car and she's still using that tent to this day.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best spots to camp in the Timico Lake Basin? We'll be coming up over the pass out of North Fork Boulder Canyon and will be looking to camp somewhere between Timico Lake and Chain Lakes.

Depending on what mileage you want, plenty of places along Timico though it's open. If rain or heavy wind, I'd drop to Bell Lakes area. Didn't see a lot before intersection with Baldy L trail that had water. Established camp with fire ring near intersection. Can get frosty as it's close to lake. Further along you'll see an outfitter use-trail branching SW. Took it by mistake as it's as well worn as the main trail. Decided to keep on going. Goes past other Bell Lakes and established outfitter camps (heaps of pre-cut wood). Eventually intersects Highline at Chain Lakes.

Back