Album The members of backcountrypost.com

Nice shot! Why didn't you wipe the pond scum off of his head and upper shell? :)
I wasn’t therefor the photo shoot … it was all Jackie. I will let her know of your request. I’m sure she’ll be quite happy to follow through on that.

Well, I could not ride a bike for as long as Scat does, but I do long hikes.
I mean, really long hikes.

I did a practice hike yesterday in preparation for my 33-mile-long park traverse.
I feel pretty accomplished because I did the 26.3-mile roundtrip in under 8 hours.
And much of the hike was across lava fields, which also slows you down.

IMG_5633-XL.png

hike%206%20copy-XL.jpg

Kaluapele and Halemauʻumaʻu Crater

hike%208%20copy-XL.jpg

Kilauea Iki Rainbow

hike%2013-XL.jpg

crossing the Maunaulu lava shield

hike%2015%20copy-XL.jpg

Maunaulu

hike%2018-XL.jpg

Makaopuhi Crater

hike%2019-XL.jpg

Makaopuhi Crater

hike%2020-XL.jpg

these would have been the last 6.5 miles of the traverse I did not do yesterday. I was tempted but didnʻt stash extra water along the way

hike%2022-XL.jpg

the thermal area of Alae Crater

hike%2024-XL.jpg

only 0.25 miles to go to the finish

Well, the Wrecking Crew pulled it off. We completed the Front Runner Century this afternoon. Now I can start hitting the trail again.

Waiting for the ride to begin - 44 degrees at the start.
01.jpg

Unicycles! These guys were great. Now if @TractorDoc ever did a centrury, I'm sure it would be on one of these. :)
01b.jpg

And we are off! 1500 riders participated in the ride. We got delayed a bit by a freight train right off the bat. :(
02.jpg

We soon passed the unicyclers.
03.jpg

Still smiling, I mean not smiling, at the halfway point. :scatman:
04.jpg

View of the northern Wasatch
05.jpg

This guy kept drafting off of us, but would not return the favor. :mad: Almost had to go full grizzly bear on him @Rockskipper.
06.jpg

I had to take a picture of this because the ride falls on my birthday, at leas back in 2007. :)
07.jpg

More northern Wasatch for ya.
08.jpg

Happy campers at the finish line - 71 degrees at the end.
09.jpg

They gave Scatman a medal! :p
10.jpg

And a smoked turkey sandwich for lunch.
11.jpg

The Sloth Team finally arrives at the finish line. They made me an honorary member. So @Bob, I'll be on the Sloth Team heading
up Deer Creek and Hidden Creek in August. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
12.jpg

This guy almost got Sheila and I killed as he got wobbly towards the end and veered out in front of us on a busy stretch of road.
13.jpg

One of the unicyclists makes it to the end. Pretty impressive it you ask me. All he needs next time is to wear a kilt. :D
14.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the Wrecking Crew pulled it off. We completed the Front Runner Century this afternoon. Now I can start hitting the trail again.

Waiting for the ride to begin - 44 degrees at the start.
View attachment 131223

Unicycles! These guys were great. Now if @TractorDoc ever did a centrury, I'm sure it would be on one of these. :)
View attachment 131224

And we are off! 1500 riders participated in the ride. We got delayed a bit by a freight train right off the bat. :(
View attachment 131225

We soon passed the unicyclers.
View attachment 131226

Still smiling, I mean not smiling, at the halfway point. :scatman:
View attachment 131227

View of the northern Wasatch
View attachment 131228

This guy kept drafting off of us, but would not return the favor. :mad: Almost had to go full grizzly bear on him @Rockskipper.
View attachment 131229

I had to take a picture of this because the ride falls on my birthday, at leas back in 2019. :)
View attachment 131230

More northern Wasatch for ya.
View attachment 131231

Happy campers at the finish line - 71 degrees at the end.
View attachment 131232

They gave Scatman a medal! :p
View attachment 131233

And a smoked turkey sandwich for lunch.
View attachment 131234

The Sloth Team finally arrives at the finish line. They made me an honorary member. So @Bob, I'll be on the Sloth Team heading
up Deer Creek and Hidden Creek in August. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
View attachment 131235

This guy almost got Sheila and I killed as he got wobbly towards the end and veered out in front of us on a busy stretch of road.
View attachment 131236

One of the unicyclers makes it to the end. Pretty impressive it you ask me. All he needs next time is to wear a kilt. :D
View attachment 131237
How fast does a unicycle go compared to a normal bike?

I like the Sloth motto, We'll get there when we get there :)

How fast does a unicycle go compared to a normal bike?

I like the Sloth motto, We'll get there when we get there :)

They came in about an hour after we finished. Pretty subjective though, depending if you stopped at the rest stops or not, and how long you may have had to wait in line to use the restrooms or fuel up again at each stop.

Still, I was really impressed with those two.

Ah, good old 780, know him well. He's a pro at drafting, even does it with his car to semis on the freeway. Someone told him he should get into brake checking, so he probly won't bother you on the next ride. Congrats on doing a Century, BTW.

Ah, good old 780, know him well. He's a pro at drafting, even does it with his car to semis on the freeway. Someone told him he should get into brake checking, so he probly won't bother you on the next ride. Congrats on doing a Century, BTW.

Thanks. I figured you and 780 might be compadres. :D

Well, the Wrecking Crew pulled it off. We completed the Front Runner Century this afternoon.
Well done Hugh (and Shelia)! What was the medal for, nicest smile? :)

Unicycles! These guys were great. Now if @TractorDoc ever did a centrury, I'm sure it would be on one of these.
I'm looking into riding one up and over Deer Creek Pass. Is a unicycle available in an E-version?

A few snippets from this weekend's hike. I left the big camera at home due to threatening weather; the task of picture taking went to the GoPro.

Fungus.

GOPR1044.JPG

A Jack in the Pulpit!

GOPR1046.JPG

Things are greening up. That is a BCP shirt I'm wearing in case you were curious.

GOPR1034.JPG

A large snapping turtle has been hanging out on a log floating in my pond at home. He/she would drop down into the water every time I tried to take a picture -- I was finally able to get one this weekend. I did not notice the little painted turtle sneaking up behind the snapper until later.

0O7A3987.JPG