Anyone Have any Experience with Sierra Designs Nitro 800 0-degree Sleeping Bag

Not with that one.
But, we did use the heavier weight zero degree bags (Marmot Trestles 0) for car / tent camping and those have the exact same EN ratings as the one you are looking at. We used it with a closed cell foam Thermarest pad R = 2.8 on the ground, then topped with a Thermarest air mattres R= 4.9 on top. Supposedly the bag is comfortable at 15F, limit temp is around 0F.

Typically around 30F Rick was fine in a T-shirt and lightweight pants, no hat. At 20F he used another layer, like a thin puffy coat.

I felt cooler, had to use more layers, incl hat and I used a blanket on top of the bag at 20F. I was not at all cold from the ground below (actually that was toasty), any coolness came from the top or sides of the bag. As an example, if the knee went outside the air mattress surface, then you could feel the coldness.

Hope this helps you out. What temperatures will you be sleeping at this winter and do you know the R value of your air mattress below?

Not with that one.
But, we did use the heavier weight zero degree bags (Marmot Trestles 0) for car / tent camping and those have the exact same EN ratings as the one you are looking at. We used it with a closed cell foam Thermarest pad R = 2.8 on the ground, then topped with a Thermarest air mattres R= 4.9 on top. Supposedly the bag is comfortable at 15F, limit temp is around 0F.

Typically around 30F Rick was fine in a T-shirt and lightweight pants, no hat. At 20F he used another layer, like a thin puffy coat.

I felt cooler, had to use more layers, incl hat and I used a blanket on top of the bag at 20F. I was not at all cold from the ground below (actually that was toasty), any coolness came from the top or sides of the bag. As an example, if the knee went outside the air mattress surface, then you could feel the coldness.

Hope this helps you out. What temperatures will you be sleeping at this winter and do you know the R value of your air mattress below?

Thank you so much on the info!

Not sure on temps. I would guess likely down to the teens. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm R-value 5.7 so I think I would be okay ground wise. I also have a down throw (CostCo) that I have used over my 20 degree bag on cold nights so that’s an option, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much on the info!

Not sure on temps. I would guess likely down to the teens. I have a Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm R-value 5.7 so I think I would be okay ground wise. I also have a down throw (CostCo) that I have used over my 20 degree bag on cold nights so that’s an option, too.

yes, you should be fine with the pad you have already. If it gets down to the teens, then you might need many layers, gloves, hat, etc (like @Wanderlust073 predicted some months back) even though you use a zero degree bag. Or bring the extra throw.

It will also make a difference how much or what you eat. Some more calories (late evening) will keep you warmer at night.

Hope you are somewhere, where you can collect wood and make a campfire in the evening. If it’s in the teens and you can’t make a fire, then you might be spending 12+ hours in the bag to stay warm. Ear pods are handy so you can listen to music or an audio book without keeping the upper body or arms outside the bag! (Keep the phone in the bag too to keep the batteries happy). :)

Yes. I bought that exact bag for my wife. Ended up reselling it on eBay after a week. The footbox was on issue (doesn't open). I also questioned the rating--loft seemed thin and it slept cold. I guess years of westernountaineering bags have ruined us for anything else.

Yes. I bought that exact bag for my wife. Ended up reselling it on eBay after a week. The footbox was on issue (doesn't open). I also questioned the rating--loft seemed thin and it slept cold. I guess years of westernountaineering bags have ruined us for anything else.

I remember comparing it to other 0 degree down bags. I think it had maybe 2 oz less down compared to other bags with similar dimensions. I also remember reading complaints about the footbox. Haven't used it though.

I remember comparing it to other 0 degree down bags. I think it had maybe 2 oz less down compared to other bags with similar dimensions. I also remember reading complaints about the footbox. Haven't used it though.
What was the problem with the foot box?

What was the problem with the foot box?

If I remember correctly, it was that there was no way to close off the foot vent completely. I think there is material that covers it to block air flow, but at least one review I read about said he would accidentally slip his feet out the vent and found it annoying.

If I remember correctly, it was that there was no way to close off the foot vent completely. I think there is material that covers it to block air flow, but at least one review I read about said he would accidentally slip his feet out the vent and found it annoying.

Ah yes. I have one of their Backcountry Beds for my three season bag that has the same feature. That happened to me a couple of times. I like that feature and have just learned to be careful [emoji3]

Back