Backpacking Light Memberships

DrNed

The mountains are calling and I must go
Anyone a Backpacking Light Unlimited member?

It’s about $200 a year and that gets you access to all their content & courses.

Im curious if anyone has experience with the quality of their content.

Thanks!

I'm a lifetime member. I got it a long time ago, when it was maybe $100. It sounded like a good idea, and pretty much has been.

In general, it has really good information. They do *very* detailed reviews. There is lively discussion about hikes. They look at every new flap-doodle that is out there, and have timely reviews. They seem friendly. Their classes, which you can watch over and over and over, have taught me a lot. The web site is stable... I don't think I remember it going down.

They are sometimes/often ultralight to the extreme. I'm pretty sure there are people who cut off the handle of their toothbrush, then file the ends not to make it more smooth but to get that extra part of a gram of stuff off. Heck, there are people on that site that know what a gram is. (I have a vague idea... kind of like I have a vague idea of how a gallon compares to a liter. It's ok. I'm happy.) If you want a 5 pound base weight, you will find people to converse with. But, if you have a 28 pound base weight, you will also find people who "see a different light," but will still converse about maybe bringing a little less. I'd say they are tolerant, if not supportive.

There are lots of forum areas that include DIY, packrafting, etc.. They send an e-mail maybe once a week about podcasts and classes and hot topics.

I don't go there as often as I go here, or to Whiteblaze, Hammockforums, or canoetripping. It's maybe too focused for me? Maybe it's that the first thing you have to do is decide if you want to read an article/review, or go to a forum, or watch a class. The information is great, though.

Pringles (most of their members use their real names)

Site is not my cup of tea .......

There's some really knowledgeable people there, but it's not my vibe most of the time. Suffers from a plethora of members that spend significantly more time inside on the computer than outside on the trail. Good resources to be found there though.

Check out the free podcast for a sample of what is offered. Some of their topics are actually more advanced than you'll find on any similar sites - especially if you're looking at things like winter camping, layering strategies for <0°, backcountry tenkara, etc. The winter camping series of the podcast had some great tips that I've actually used.

EDIT: Should add that I am not a member, so my insight is limited in that regard.

Last edited:
I was a member for a year or two during my ultralight-zealot phase, but having achieved a packweight that worked for me, I "threw away the ladder", as Wittgenstein would say.

I was a member for a year or two during my ultralight-zealot phase, but having achieved a packweight that worked for me, I "threw away the ladder", as Wittgenstein would say.
Never thought I'd see Wittgenstein quoted on a hiking forum. Nice job!

Back