Canoe Trip in the Boundary Waters

Has anyone here ever been up to the boundary waters? Me and a buddy of mine are looking to do a 4 day canoe trip up there and we are looking for some pointers on where to go for beginners but we also want to catch a lot of fish. Thanks

I researched the place about a hundred years ago. There are lots of outfitters based in Ely, MN. Be prepared to portage your canoe and gear.
Have fun. Good luck.

Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

I am not very experienced, but I've gone to the Boundary Waters to canoe twice. Both times I went through Sawbill Lake, renting a canoe from Sawbill Outfitters. They were very helpful. They would offer advice if you were bringing all your own equipment (if you asked for it), and would rent you a canoe for an appropriate (neither gouging you or giving it away) fee. And they could rent you stoves and tents and the rest of your gear if you had none or were flying in to the area. If you wanted, they would organize food for you, as well. They can talk you through the permit process, too. We rented a canoe (Kevlar) and headed out. There were plenty of people, plenty of portages, and plenty of beautiful lakes. About fish... I can't really say (I like tarter sauce, not fish.) Venchka is correct, there are LOTS of outfitters in Ely. I'm sure any of the outfitters would be helpful. Have a nice trip!

Back