Canyonlands/ Needles District question

JDWalters

Does anyone know a route to get to the top of the plateau/cliffs at the end of Elephant Canyon, by Druid Arch? I am fine with accessing it from Squaw Canyon as well. I just would like to get to a high point to look over the Needles, and those canyons in particular. Thanks!

-Jeff

Does anyone know a route to get to the top of the plateau/cliffs at the end of Elephant Canyon, by Druid Arch? I am fine with accessing it from Squaw Canyon as well. I just would like to get to a high point to look over the Needles, and those canyons in particular. Thanks!

-Jeff

I don't know of one, but I like your style!

This is exactly the kind of thing I get into. Nothing that I know of to get up there, but a few possibilities looking at the map. Both the good, and bad news is that none of them look like a for sure deal, but the exploration would be very fun.

This would be my first go to. It would no doubt be a little spicy, bit imagine it would go. Report back.
Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 10.36.57 AM.png

Who needs Kelsey guides when we have BCP!!

Oh man, don't compare me to thee Author. For real Kelsey is a hero of mine, and his eccentricities only make his guides better. After you've been in trouble because of them a few times.

PLEASE don't count on that line as a definitive guide. I've struck out looking at caltopo/google earth before, but I've also had some of my best trips just utilizing that, and nothing else. Scree is a decent guide, as the angle of repose is good enough to get up/down something without ropes.

Oh man, don't compare me to thee Author. For real Kelsey is a hero of mine, and his eccentricities only make his guides better. After you've been in trouble because of them a few times.

PLEASE don't count on that line as a definitive guide. I've struck out looking at caltopo/google earth before, but I've also had some of my best trips just utilizing that, and nothing else. Scree is a decent guide, as the angle of repose is good enough to get up/down something without ropes.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely check that out. It definitely looks dicey near the top on Google Earth. The Needles area in particular seems to look deceptively straight-forward in spots on the topo map, and then definitely not so much when I look at GE.

Back