Cedar Mesa to Hanksville, best day hike options?

Dan_85

So as part of my Southwest trip in June i'll be heading up from the Monument Valley area to Hanksville via Cedar Mesa, routes 261 & 95. I'd really like to break up this drive with a bit of a hike but this is one of the areas i'm least familiar with.

Ideally i'm looking for something fairly easy - maybe 5-6 miles in length, not too technical, although if there's something you think I really shouldn't miss along that route then i'm also open to an overnighter. Here's a possible sticking point though - i'll be in a 4x4 SUV but it will be a rental, so intense high clearance roads are probably not an option :( I'm willing to risk my rental agreement down easier dirt roads but nothing too crazy...

Any advice for this area greatly appreciated!

i'll be in a 4x4 SUV but it will be a rental, so intense high clearance roads are probably not an option.

oh man, rentals are the best vehicles to take on the technical roads. ;)

Just kidding, I don't blame you.

On Cedar Mesa
South Mule Canyon; in Grand Gulch, Government Trail (Big Man panel, numerous ruins), Collins Spring (Bannister ruin, lot's of rock art) all give you easy access. Owl Creek is fun, and is quick to access, as is Road Canyon (7 Kivas, Citadel). All of the area is worth an overnighter.

On Cedar Mesa
South Mule Canyon; in Grand Gulch, Government Trail (Big Man panel, numerous ruins), Collins Spring (Bannister ruin, lot's of rock art) all give you easy access. Owl Creek is fun, and is quick to access, as is Road Canyon (7 Kivas, Citadel). All of the area is worth an overnighter.
Fantastic, thanks for the suggestions! Will take a look into these...

sixstringsteve said:
oh man, rentals are the best vehicles to take on the technical roads. ;)

Just kidding, I don't blame you.
Haha, the constant dilemma of the rental vehicle - be cautious or rag the hell outta it?! Sadly the decision is usually made by my bank balance :(

Back