Chimney Rock-Lower Spring Canyon, Cap Reef NP

Scott Chandler

Wildness is a necessity- John Muir
With a three day weekend and plans to canyoneer with a friend on Saturday I drove south Friday, not really knowing where I'd end up. I figured I would do something in Capital Reef but did not know what. I had a couple ideas but would decide based off the time.

On the drive down I passed two gorgeous golden eagles picking a carcass clean. It is funny how they could stand cars wizzing by but when one slowed down to look they would have none of it. I got a couple pictures that don't do these grand birds justice (I like my DSLR but miss the ability to zoom.)

Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 001.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 002.jpg
Coming into Capital Reef later than I wanted for the option to head south I decided I'd hike in Chimney Rock Canyon and down Spring Canyon for a bit. I would just see where it took me. It turned out to be a very pleasant hike. I have not done much of anything in Capital Reef since I was really young so this hike was a good way to wet the tongue for more. I hope to visit the area again soon to be better acquainted.

Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 003.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 005.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 007.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 011.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 017.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 021.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 022.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 027.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 028.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 029.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 032.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 035.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 040.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 041.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 042.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 051.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 053.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 055.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 062.jpgCapital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 044.jpg

I also stopped by the Goosenecks to see what they were before heading to Hanksville for a burger and then to the Reef to sleep.

Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 063.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 064.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 065.jpg Capital Reef- Chimney Rock-Spring Canyon 066.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice pictures! How far down spring canyon did you go? Did you see any water? Capitol Reef is an awesome place.

I only went down Spring Canyon for a couple of miles to where it had a stretch of slot and met no water that wasn't easily bypassed. There were a couple small pools though and I bet there was more in the slot if someone wanted to adventure in it.

On my very first solo road trip in Utah this was one of the first hikes I did. Seeing that shot taken from the top of the Mummy Cliffs brings back the absolute awe I felt seeing it for the first time. Great report, thanks for sharing!

Nice pics, thanks for the report. One of these days, I'll backpack Spring Canyon from top to bottom.

Back