Cloud Peak backpack

tstew

Hello,
I am heading to Wyoming just after Labor Day and am struggling to find the right trip. I have done many backpack trips (none in Cloud Peak), but am on the slower side due to some mild physical limitations. Altitude is my nemesis, so I plan shorter days then most people.
I would love to go from Lower Paint Rock Lake to Cliff Lake, then over Geneva Pass and on to Emerald Lake and back down to the Edelman TH (walking the road back to the start). I have 5 days, so I think I could do that trip, but there wouldn't be any extra days to explore any side trips. I am thinking of just doing one side or the other (go to Geneva Pass and explore the surrounding area/lakes or Edelman Pass and it's surrounding area/lakes, from either Lower Paint Rock Lake TH or Edelman TH), but I can't decide which side to do. Edelman would have more solitude I would think, but hate to miss the Geneva Pass side (I have a serious FOMO going on here, LOL!). Or maybe there's something else I should be doing all together? I have to wind up at the same TH as where I started (short road walks are ok) and like to have options for side trips (on or off trail).
Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thank you!

Back