Deep Creek Mountains

Bob, did you happen to note who manufactured that hoist engine? Love old stuff like that.

John, sorry didn't get that. Pretty cool engine and winch though..

Bob, did you happen to note who manufactured that hoist engine? Love old stuff like that.

At first I thought it was a compressor but the gear ratios don't support that. I'm assuming it's a single cylinder steam engine. Do you have any other insight?

At first I thought it was a compressor but the gear ratios don't support that. I'm assuming it's a single cylinder steam engine. Do you have any other insight?

Looks to me like a hit and miss gas engine. The rocker arm is likely for the exhaust valve and the intake probably just opened against a light spring. Thermocycle water jacket was probably hooked to a water tank of some sort. I've never seen a poppet style valve on a small steam engine. Almost all were slide or piston valves. And they wouldn't have had to haul a large amount of water to keep that one going.

Looks to me like a hit and miss gas engine. The rocker arm is likely for the exhaust valve and the intake probably just opened against a light spring. Thermocycle water jacket was probably hooked to a water tank of some sort. I've never seen a poppet style valve on a small steam engine. Almost all were slide or piston valves. And they wouldn't have had to haul a large amount of water to keep that one going.

Interesting. Thank you.

Back