Dome Plateau (2009)

hatchcanyon

In 2009 we did it again! Exploring the Dome Plateau, looking for Wells viewpoint high above Professor Valley respectively Richardson Amphitheater.

Visiting the little old mining camp nearby Owl Draw earlier that day and the cliffline of Caves Spring - the caves too. Late in the afternoon we arrived at the fence line that divides Dome Plateau from South to North.

PICT3231_12.jpg

Castle Valley, Porcupine Rim and the fence

A trail follows the fence on the east side down the hill. This is the trail to a view point decribed by Wells. It is quite rocky, much rougher than the trail to the other view point farther west we found 7 years ago. Bumping down along the fence is one thing, coming up again something different. And you have to come up this trail again. (Ok, you may walk half a mile one way.)

_DSC2493_12.jpg

Approaching the rim

The place where we parked the car allowed a first glimpse. Power Pole Mesa, Fisher Towers, Onion Creek, Fisher Mesa. Polar Mesa and the LaSals too.

_DSC2494_12.jpg

Panorama Point

(We know the real one too :sneaky:)

To the west one can see Professor Creek - or is it Mary Jane Creek? - Adobe Mesa and parts of Castle Valley.

_DSC2497_12.jpg

Professor Creek - Castle Valley

_DSC2499_12.jpg

Another shot

_DSC2503_12.jpg

Fisher Towers

Going back and climbing up the trail along the fence is quite a bit tricky. High ledges at the time. It was a good idea that we did it with an H3.

After the climb driving back to Poison Strip was easy until a good old friend showed up.....

_DSC2504_12.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Very cool. I need to do more desert backpacking.

Salud!

Thanks for the comments!

Crystal clear isn't always there at first glance out of the camera. It needs some work with Lightroom to reduce blue blurring.

What is blue blurring? Never had to deal with that.

I think I know what you're talking about. I use Lightroom too. What do you do in Lightroom to correct it?

By the way... I agree that these are killer views and awesome photos.

I think I know what you're talking about. I use Lightroom too. What do you do in Lightroom to correct it?

By the way... I agree that these are killer views and awesome photos.

Thanks for all these friendly comments!

What do I do to correct in Lightroom?

- reduce blue saturation and/or
- reduce blue luminance

- using a gradient filter where the color temperature is set to a higher value and/or a color overlay - usually orange-yellow - for the bright parts of the picture might help too.

Sorry, I only have a German Lightroom version, therefore I'm not sure about the correct namings.

Back