down quilts or box bags

Tater Head

Hoo are you looking at?
I am looking into a new bag or quilt and was wondering if any one had any experience with the Nemo Nocturne or a quilt. I am currently using a Mountain Hardware Pinole 20° mummy bag. I tend to use it more as a quilt than a bag unless the weather turns really cold. I put my feet in the foot box and don't bother to zip it up. I toss and turn all night long and feel like I am tied down in a traditional mummy bag. I am seriously considering the spoon shaped Nemo bag or a quilt. I like the idea of quilt for weight savings but if I could sleep comfortably in a bag that would probably be the best all around. Any advise or thoughts...
Screenshot_2015-11-15-13-05-41-1.png

I sleep like you do in a regular bag unzipped. It's probably been at least a year or two since I actually zipped up my bag. I like it better than a quilt because it ends up being much larger, plus the foot box is nice. I guess a little weight could be saved with an actual quilt, but I was not a fan when I tried one.

I love my quilt in the hammock but it's hit or miss taking it to ground. If temperatures are low, drafts become a big problem.

I love my quilt...but my main issue with temperature regulation is that I want my feet completely out when I'm warm. So unzipping a sleeping back (but being forced to have my feet in the foot box) wouldn't be nearly as comfortable for me.

I'm pretty sure all the decent quilts you can buy now come with strap systems that let you fix the quilt to your sleeping pad. I've never felt the need to do this, but it would surely reduce the draft problem. I also have never (yet) taken my quilt down to within 10 degrees of its temperature rating. At 12-15* above the rating, though, I was plenty comfy.

Back