Few Questions for Diamond Fork area.

blueeyes

ephemeral excursionist
Some friends want to drive down next weekend and hike into 5th Hot springs. Quick weather check says snow tonight and tomorrow but nothing the rest of the week. Then fairly warm temps for December.

My question is.. any snow currently up in that canyon? Not familiar with this area. I imagine with the warm temps we have had there isn't snow but depending on this storm there could be some come next weekend.

Is the gate closed? Any good spot to camp up there if we take our bikes and bikepack in?

Is this trail a muddy trail when wet or does moisture soak in quick? I do not want a muddy ride I would rather hike in.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

With the storm coming today, there will most likely be snow. I've only hiked it snow covered and I would not recommend trying to ride a bike on it in that or a mixed snow condition.

I haven't figured out where to find out the gate closure status. We were trying to find out a couple weeks ago and were not successful.

If the road is closed, you could definitely find some places to camp with your bikes on the way to the trailhead.

With the storm coming today, there will most likely be snow. I've only hiked it snow covered and I would not recommend trying to ride a bike on it in that or a mixed snow condition.

I haven't figured out where to find out the gate closure status. We were trying to find out a couple weeks ago and were not successful.

If the road is closed, you could definitely find some places to camp with your bikes on the way to the trailhead.
I don't necessarily want to ride my bike on the 2.5 mile trail to the hot springs from the dirt road, but if the gate is closed and that road isn't incredibly muddy from snow I would ride up that. My feet like biking better than hiking anyday of the week.

I don't know guess I will decide Thursday. I think for the first time since I started riding a bike I am a bit burnt out on two wheels. Ha! Probably just plan on hiking. If they choose to ride bikes I will see them when I get there.

Ah, gotcha. Well you have no worries there. The road is paved so no chance it will be muddy. They just don't plow it in the winter.

Ah, gotcha. Well you have no worries there. The road is paved so no chance it will be muddy. They just don't plow it in the winter.
I don't know where but I swear I read that road was dirt. Thanks for that info.

Back