Five Mile Gulch

Duke

Mountain Carver
Five Mile gulch, Cap Reef is known for a big swim near the bottom of the slot section. I did a touch-n-go, bottom up visit to the canyon July 7 and the water is way down. In this photo my hand is at the level I expected. We stopped and asked the Ranger about conditions and they told us the canyon is closed and then changed it to only the top two miles. ?? Why I asked? "Because of the Endangered Species Act". I then asked what species was this and was told they can NOT tell me. ? WT? Can't tell me?? Its a secret? In her defense my friend with me was making stupid jokes and the Ranger took them like a trooper, but come on....closed but can't tell me what animal is "nesting" up there?

IMG_4079 LR.jpg

thanks for the quick share.
i swears the NPS has some sort of vetting system they apply when folks come in lookin' for beta. next time your better off gleaning beta/conditions from the internet. bureaucracy, not keepers, are the true crux to national park canyons.

thanks for the quick share.
i swears the NPS has some sort of vetting system they apply when folks come in lookin' for beta. next time your better off gleaning beta/conditions from the internet. bureaucracy, not keepers, are the true crux to national park canyons.

Yep. It would seem that is especially the case for the NPS in Capitol Reef...

Back