floating East Canyon Creek in a packraft?

regehr

I'm looking for an easy (class 1-2) packraft near SLC. My copy of "River Runner's Guide to Utah" suggests that East Canyon Creek between Jeremy Ranch and East Canyon Reservoir would fit the bill, but this book is old (2002). Anyone know if this still seems like a reasonable idea? I guess I'm concerned about access and also hazards like fences or low bridges.

My understanding of current Utah law is that floating a stream like this is fully legit even if it passes through private property:
https://wildlife.utah.gov/index.php//streamaccess.html

We floated some of East Canyon Creek yesterday, started somewhere south of the Morgan/Summit county line and ended somewhere north of it. Flow was good and the water wasn't that cold. Even so we got our butts kicked a bit: lots of trees on both sides, several low fences right around bends in the creek, a low bridge or two, and we portaged around three 3-4 foot drops. I guess I should have asked which section your buddy floated, @George_Washington_Hayduke :). But anyway we're more enthusiastic than skillful...

Back