Flooding in Yellowstone National Park and Adjacent Areas of Montana Today June 13, 2022

Wow! But am one way not surprised with all this continuing precipitation this spring. And still with sooooo much snow up high and the continuing rain, more of this I expect will be continuing do believe. Just wonder what the Thorofare is like ... Lake Thorofare?

the road through Gardiner Canyon is gone!! Several sections are washed away.
I can't count how many times I've driven that stretch in 2020 when I stayed 6 weeks in Gardiner and explored the park every day

Now consider on has this happened before in any year in the YNP's history? Have been all over the park. Yes there were rainy springs but nothing like this. Now with roads disappearing and bridges being swept away ... this will. Have major consequences hor a longtime whenever this present freaking episode of crazy weather disappears.

And one thought ... how about if this crazy weather does NOT disappear but that it continues like this all all summer till next winter.

And the mosquitoes in these parts will be horrendous do think later on this summer.

Now consider on has this happened before in any year in the YNP's history? Have been all over the park. Yes there were rainy springs but nothing like this. Now with roads disappearing and bridges being swept away ... this will. Have major consequences hor a longtime whenever this present freaking episode of crazy weather disappears.

And one thought ... how about if this crazy weather does NOT disappear but that it continues like this all all summer till next winter.

And the mosquitoes in these parts will be horrendous do think later on this summer.
there are already talks about a threefold La Nina going into its third year next Spring. So this could repeat recent events.
We're in PNW also getting bombarded with one atmospheric river after the next, bringing record rainfalls.

I think the last historic flood event in Greater Yellowstone similar to this one was in 1918

I don't tweet but found this link for a NPS helicopter view of the NE Entrance Road. It is going to need some major repairs.

A group of us are planning visiting some of the backcountry between Canyon and the Lamar River in September. We were not planning on visiting Fairyland. . . I'm wondering if it will even still be there anyway.

Dont remeber what year....but Pebble Creek Campground was washed away...... Cooke City was isolated because of flooding... the North end was drenched.

Back