Front Range Friday Fun

Ugly

Life really is better Here
Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200044-rec-sm.jpg

I have not been good about posting trip reports. Technically this one was on spikes and snowshoes, so I am putting it in Winter Sports.

Like just about everyone, my plans have had to be... heavily modified... to canceled.
So here is a bevy of pictures from a trip with minimal narration and almost no snarkiness.
On a whim with no planning, we were off to a popular place where snow and going more than 2 miles at least bogs down the crowd. We had the 2-ish miles as a minimum goal, so we set off at a good pace... mostly.

Unsettled skies were the norm.
IMG_1948.jpg

This is the easiest part of the trail.
IMG_1950.jpg

Brief sunshine on mahogany.
IMG_1969.jpg

Fresh snow on the creek.
IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

The sky was interesting as we climbed.
IMG_2051.jpg

The sun broke through for a few brief minutes in golden splendor to put a smile on my face.
IMG_9705.jpg

Climbing up someone's earlier skin track.
IMG_9728.jpg

IMG_2066.jpg

The iphone 11 shoots reasonably well in the low light.
IMG_2091.jpg

Paused while pitching camp, with a snow squall moving in, and took a quick picture of the preferred winter home.
The Tangerine Tipi.
IMG_2099.jpg

Dinner was loosely based on a cuban. Almost half a pound of shredded pork barbacoa, ham, swiss cheese, palmetto olives, mustard and pickles on a pretzel bun.
The fantastic flavor I developed was enough to turn my buddy a bit Golog Bordello (Eugene's face is used to protect the innocent).
IMG_2107.jpg

Overnight temp after we had setup was dipping into the single digits.
Once the storm actually came in, it rose into mild 20's by morning.

Morning broke without any fanfare or color. The day before, we had not climbed as high as we had planned. Mostly because of a later afternoon start and the storm rolling in.
We had a couple inches of snow overnight. Almost no wind. Just the snow sliding down the silnylon, and the gentle cascading brook as background noise to the snoring that gets worse with age.

As happens sometimes, we did not keep the foundation exactly level when we stomped out camp, so my buddy's stuff and the center pole slid sideways a bit.
Also note, there is also almost enough room for two people to almost be legally socially distant (if one would stop slowly sliding down from his side of the tent).

The new Xtherm was fantastic. Not just warmth, but actually being the large size it was like Grandma's Feather Bed! With my old Xlite I was rarely ever cold, but you could occasionally feel the cold air in cold spots when shifting position, or maybe it was because if I shifted much my butt would slide off the Regular sized Xlite onto the snow.
IMG_2145.jpg
I blame the messy non-existent neighbors for such a horrendous camp.

Once we ate a bite, we went on uphill to go a little bit farther.

Without any sun breaking through, the world became still, quiet, and monochromatic.
Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200178-rec-sm.jpg

Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200121-sm-bw2.jpg

We also were breaking new snow.
Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200146-bw-sm.jpg

Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200187-bw-sm.jpg

Bells Canyon Overnighter 3-20200208-bw-crop.jpg

The sun came out briefly again on the way down, before a squall came through.
IMG_2171.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

The most common destination for people who hike here:
IMG_2199.jpg

OOOOOOooooooo more snow!
IMG_2203 Copy.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

I really liked these mahogany dusted with fresh snow.
IMG_2212 Copy.jpg

Nice shots. Particularly the one of your tent and the city lights.

Ha! A Gogol Bordello reference! Love me some gypsy punk!

I knew someone would know them! With all the different types of music I listen to, sometimes you just need a bit.
Sadly their show in May in SLC has been canceled.

Back