Guess the spot: Maps Edition

Looks like Steer Creek and Snake River in northern NE.
You got it. There's some interesting hiking in the public areas near that confluence. Very much different than what you usually see on a site like this, but a very fascinating environment.

You got it. There's some interesting hiking in the public areas near that confluence. Very much different than what you usually see on a site like this, but a very fascinating environment.
The aerial view of this location looked very different from what I was expecting, based on the topo.

Name one of the prominent peaks shown near the middle.Screenshot 2023-12-08 14.23.59.png

Ruby Dome. The Rubies are something I always plan to do, but never actually end up doing.

Because I'm a dorky hiker, I'm obligated to point out that the Ruby Crest Trail is a National Recreation Trail, not a National Scenic Trail. NST's are individually designated by an act of Congress and there are only 11 of them (AT, PCT, CDT, Pacific Northwest, Arizona, Florida, Natchez Trace, New England, Ice Age, North Country, Potomac Heritage).

By contrast, the Secretary of the Interior has the authority to designate National Recreation Trails. There are dozens (hundreds?) of them.

Ruby Dome. The Rubies are something I always plan to do, but never actually end up doing.

Because I'm a dorky hiker, I'm obligated to point out that the Ruby Crest Trail is a National Recreation Trail, not a National Scenic Trail. NST's are individually designated by an act of Congress and there are only 11 of them (AT, PCT, CDT, Pacific Northwest, Arizona, Florida, Natchez Trace, New England, Ice Age, North Country, Potomac Heritage).

By contrast, the Secretary of the Interior has the authority to designate National Recreation Trails. There are dozens (hundreds?) of them.
Apologies, you’re correct this is adjacent to a National Recreation Trail rather than a NST. The Rubys are an amazing range, but not quite what I was looking for.

A hint: North of Nebraska

Bumping this one.... I had to go re-find my spot because I forgot what it was. Between Nebraska and Canada.

Back