Lookout Peak 6/25/22

regehr

I had only been up on Lookout Peak once, about 20 years ago, so it seemed time to do it again, especially since a friend who lives in Emigration Canyon hadn't been there and was interested. We started up from near Affleck Park and made decent time to the summit in the nice cool morning air, it felt great up there. Once on top, my friend suggested that we simply walk down to his house instead of retracing our steps to my vehicle. A fun part of this was walking an old mining road that cuts across the top of Red Butte Canyon, which @scatman and I had walked a few years ago on our somewhat epic circumambulation of Red Butte Canyon. From Lookout to my friend's house on Emigration road was about 7.5 miles according to my phone, with plenty of ups and down, some off-trail sections, and generally just a lot of hard work -- this ended up being a bit of a tough day!

Something interesting is that a use trail is emerging on the ridge towards Little Black Mountain from Lookout Peak, making this section quite a lot easier to walk than it was the last time I was up there -- I don't remember any sort of trail up there in the early 2000s.

I had only been up on Lookout Peak once, about 20 years ago, so it seemed time to do it again, especially since a friend who lives in Emigration Canyon hadn't been there and was interested. We started up from near Affleck Park and made decent time to the summit in the nice cool morning air, it felt great up there. Once on top, my friend suggested that we simply walk down to his house instead of retracing our steps to my vehicle. A fun part of this was walking an old mining road that cuts across the top of Red Butte Canyon, which @scatman and I had walked a few years ago on our somewhat epic circumambulation of Red Butte Canyon. From Lookout to my friend's house on Emigration road was about 7.5 miles according to my phone, with plenty of ups and down, some off-trail sections, and generally just a lot of hard work -- this ended up being a bit of a tough day!

Sounds like a great hike. We need to do that Red Butte hike again someday.

Back