Meander vs Stillwater - hiking opportunities?

Janice

We're thinking ahead to a float trip in Meander or Stillwater Canyon next fall (late Sept - early Oct). We'll probably do 5 nights to have time for an extra day at the end for hiking up to the Doll House.

I've been researching (including reading lots of great TRs here) and know the two routes have a lot of similarities and a few differences. I have two questions:

1) If you've done both, do you have a preference, especially in the fall?

2) Does one route provide more opportunities for interesting and/or longer hikes up the side canyons? We'd like to do as much of this as we can, especially as it shouldn't be too hot then. I've been told that Stillwater has more archaeological sites, but separate from that, we'd love to hear your thoughts about the hiking.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1. You really can't go wrong with either, but if you are looking for more solitude and not having the Jetboat pass you by twice a day, then I would go with Stillwater, especially since you have 5 nights. Most trips on their way to Cataract also motor down Meander. I did Meander first to see how long it would take us to float in the fall in our inflatable kayaks, because it didn't matter if we made to to The Confluence or not (we didn't because of wind) since the Jetboat could pick us up along the way.

2. I think Stillwater has more hikes available, too, especially if you aren't able to drive into The Maze or the White Rim and hike from the roads there....but there are some good hikes in both sections that you can't easily hike from roads above, too.

Within Stillwater there is great little slot canyon that can be accessed from Anderson Bottom, definite must do IMO. You can see it in the image below at center left. It and many other hikes are described in Kelsey's River Guide.

Anderson Bottom Slot.jpg

Thanks @SEAlpine! We love slots, so that's a great tip. Just found it in Kelsey, which happened to arrive in the mail this morning. :) I can see that I'll need to read VERY carefully to find other gems. I welcome any additional info you can provide...

I have had trips down Meander and have not seen anyone, other than Tex. The jet boat might not be every day, and they come by once around 9am and then around 2pm on their way back, you see them for about 5 minutes each way. And when I get on the jet boat for the return, sometimes I am the only one who came down Meander. Don't get me wrong, Stillwater is a sublime place (so is Meander), but like I said you might have difficulties with a camp spot, especially on the dates you are going. When you make your reservation ask Tex's what canyon people are going down on your dates. Have fun!

Last edited:
Helpful info, @gnwatts. I realize both canyons are wonderful and we'll have a great trip no matter what. But since we live out East and might do this only once and are taking the lead in planning the trip with friends, we'd like to maximize opportunities and minimize challenges. Seems like availability of camp spots is an important consideration. Thanks for your advice!

Check the water flow too. Higher flows mean fewer sandbars, fewer camping opportunities. The high water camps will be harder to find.

Back