Need Trip Ideas

Aldaron

I know Nick just went through this exercise last week, so now it's my turn.

I have a few friends coming out (two from Colorado and one flying in from South Carolina) in mid-April. They don't want to do anything technical, and we're planning on just spending three days/two nights out.

So now I'm trying to decide the best place to take them. With this group, we generally do backpacking trips, so that's what I'm leaning towards. I'm thinking maybe Coyote Gulch. I had considered Robbers Roost Canyon, but the cows I saw down in there this weekend really turned me off from that place right now. I thought about Grand Gulch, but I'm afraid that permits may be hard to come by this late. I also thought about The Needles, but, again, I figure permits would be hard to come by.

Any other ideas?

I'm open to base camping and hitting some non-technical canyons, but we generally like to work for our campsites.

Thanks!

Coyote Gulch would be a good one and a prime time to do it. If you wanted to get a little more solitude, maybe just go down the crack and head over to Steven's Canyon. Lots of good info in Canyoneering 3 on it and sounds like a blast.

Or how about a route along the Boulder Mail Trail and into Death Hollow? That would be quite nice in mid-April although I might prefer a week or three later, depending on the forecast. Killer area though. From the air strip to Highway 12 bridge is a phenomenal 3-day trip.

What else...

If you know your dates the Needles still had some choice sites available including CP2/3 & EC2. There were a lot in the Big Spring and Squaw canyon as well. A least there was a day or 2 ago.

Back