Quick 4 day Winds trip

Been to the titcomb/island lake 4 times and even with crowds it's worth seeing. Hope to get back there more in the future. Have yet to see the cirque, but will make it someday. Solitude is great, but I'm willing in certain situations to put up with crowds.

Some good alternates have been mentioned. Those high off trail routes on the north end are great but do require a certain amount of looney in you to do them. I like that kind of route.

Been to the titcomb/island lake 4 times and even with crowds it's worth seeing. Hope to get back there more in the future. Have yet to see the cirque, but will make it someday. Solitude is great, but I'm willing in certain situations to put up with crowds.

Some good alternates have been mentioned. Those high off trail routes on the north end are great but do require a certain amount of looney in you to do them. I like that kind of route.
Thanks. .. Looney?! ..... Maybe

I only do I interesting routes......

Flying monkey has no Golden's. .wink, wink
It's an entirely mystical place...I'm sure it doesn't exist...

That Osborne route can be tricky...lots of game trails. I've been to Native via Roaring Fork though. That's the plan this year.

GOS folks also recommended Europe Canyon area (FM was over-rated...). I made it to Rainbow from Scab Cr the first day. Nice area. Different fish there though...

East Fork, Bonneville, Shelia, Noel, Middlefork, Halls, Europe lk area.....Scab creek or Boulder creek TH. Ross lks, Bomber lk, Mile high lk loop from Torrey TH. Osborn mtn to Faler to Daphne to bear lk area out of Green River TH. Lost eagle pk, Golden lk, Baker lk area out of Green river lk TH.

Be warned the stuff on the north end borders extreme except for the Ross lk Bomber lk loop. And your mileage could be different than mine. Great fishing in Ross lks. Halls, Europe, unamed lks along the way.

Bomber, Milehigh, Ross loop.....some route finding around Ross on the west side...everything else is straight forward. I think I last did it in 4 days with a late start from Torrey. Or Europe halls area. East fork Shelia some off trail, not bad, great scenery all thru Middle fork lk, good loop. Just be aware of your capabilities. Pm me I can talk more...
Thanks for the info Bob I will certainly be in touch to pick your brain, I know you have a wealth of knowledge on the Winds.

Maybe we need a new thread with 3-5 day non-Cirque/Titcomb destinations in the Winds, accompanied with a couple of photos. I would love that

There’s countless Winds trip reports if you search. Lots of pics, maps, you name it.

There’s countless Winds trip reports if you search. Lots of pics, maps, you name it.
Seriously. This is one of the best sources around for Winds trips.

Also, a big part of the fun of the Winds is planning your own route because there are so many good, well-marked trails throughout the range, and it's so easy to go off-trail and do lots of unique routes. Everywhere in the range is likely to be worth your time, so you really can't go wrong. I really like heading somewhere without having seen tons of photos and read every single detail about the entire route. Makes it that much better and more impressive when you get there!

Yes, there are, but it takes a lot of effort to sort through them to find something appropriate for the time-frame, goals, difficulty, etc. that someone is looking for. Many are a week or longer, WRHR variations, with varying difficulty and mainly in August. Fantastic site for information and knowledgeable people, but actually extracting it is not easy. Having Bob's suggestions as a starting point are highly valuable. Adkison's book is also helpful, as is all the organization/tables in Nancy Pallister's work. Sometimes, there is just less time to work with, so it's helpful to know what others have done in a similar time frame, with similar goals.

For example, I'm working some 3-4 day options for fishing in the Popo Agia. If I get that with an amazing, 1-2K' jagged mountains in a cirque, great. But it's not my primary goal. Which is why I'm doing it solo vs with non-fishing friends/family who prefer stunning scenery.

Ha! Yeah, some trails are definitely overrated, but I'd rather not be bushwhacking through dense willows or testing my knees all day on talus.... Off trail is amazing but if I need to make time, I'm happy to jump on for awhile.

Last edited:
Yes, using Google to do it certainly helps, but there is still a lot of reading every report to see if it fits. But, sooner or later a topic like "Suggested short BP trips in the Winds" will emerge. Organizing into tabular formats are why books are worth the price.

Then again, reading TR's is rather fun - always something useful in them!!

Back