San Juan mountains, Colorado

westy

It has been many years, 3 decades, since I'd been in the San Juan mountains. 2 decades since being in Colorado, period. It was wonderful to visit again! July was warm and dry. August wet and windy, which continued into September and became heavy frost and snow to make a warm and dry Colorado Plateau move very attractive, so there I head. But back to the San Juan mountains...

Just a few highlights.

IMG_20230724_140722205_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230813_112444706~2.jpg

IMG_20230813_093510796_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230818_131013270_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230906_125919852~2.jpg

IMG_20230908_121617413_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230908_151824288~2.jpg

IMG_20230914_090950319_HDR~2.jpg

We're thinking of putting a loop together out there next fall. We usually take our trip at end of August/early September, and usually for 7-10 days. Looks beautiful.

Drove through the San Juans earlier this year for the first time, need to go back and actually explore the place. Excellent pictures.

Nice photo of Chimney Rock. My family moved to the San Juans when I was 15 so I spent a good many summers climbing and packing in that country with friends and my brother until after I graduated college in Utah. Nowhere like it on Earth. Check out Jack Brauer photos if you want to get a taste of some of the backcountry - I believe he lives in Ouray.

Nice photo of Chimney Rock. My family moved to the San Juans when I was 15 so I spent a good many summers climbing and packing in that country with friends and my brother until after I graduated college in Utah. Nowhere like it on Earth. Check out Jack Brauer photos if you want to get a taste of some of the backcountry - I believe he lives in Ouray.

Just looked at a bunch of Brauer's beautiful photos - thanks for sharing the link for this wonderful eye candy. We might head to Colorado for next summer's trip and would probably go to the San Juans, maybe the Weminuche for unfinished business (2018 fires prevented us from doing the train/Elk Park/Needleton loop) or elsewhere. Great to hear that you've got so much experience in that area; if you're in the mood now or later, I'd love suggestions for a weeklong trip (nothing technical).

We're thinking of putting a loop together out there next fall. We usually take our trip at end of August/early September, and usually for 7-10 days. Looks beautiful.
Considering going back myself. Would need a shuttle, but starting from one of the forks of the cimarron, or big blue, and traversing the range staying high all the way down to Vallecito reservoir looks like a LOT of fun.

Considering going back myself. Would need a shuttle, but starting from one of the forks of the cimarron, or big blue, and traversing the range staying high all the way down to Vallecito reservoir looks like a LOT of fun.
Do you have a specific route in mind to get from the Uncompahgre Wilderness down to the Weminuche/CDT? Sounds intriguing but I don't know that area North of the Weminuche.

Beautiful photos, by the way! It makes me want to get back there ASAP!

TH to engineer/Denver/cinnamon pass.
Then..
Cinnamon pass to snare creek looks iffiest. After that CD to moon lake.
And moon lake to Vallecito looks iffy if wanting to stay high.
Otherwise topo/satt and eyes on in areas I visited look good.

Back