Sawtooths

This was the 7th trip to the Sawtooths. First trip in the snow. Did not use snow shoes, would have been nice on the upper pass. We went in the middle of October 2013. We started at Pettit Lake and made our way up to Alice lake and Twin Lakes. Fished all the way up, no fish around. We hiked over the pass between Twin lakes and Toxaway lake. Several of the smaller lakes were iced over on the Toxaway side. Found some fish finally in lake #8165, below Toxaway. Also some in Farley lake. Hiked to McDonald lake then took the trail back to Pettit Lake. No bears this time, the wolves stayed around, but did not bother us. We did see wolverine tracks that we had confirmed. A male, female and young one played in the snow. They were sliding on their bellies then climbing the hill and doing it again. Hope to some day see one, but not up close! The wolves just howled around camp the first night, then they lead and followed us most of the trip until we went over the pass. No other people encountered, temp was a high of 36 during the day, low 15 during the night. I love the Sawtooths! September has been the best month for me to go, no bugs, cooler temps, and less people. The wildfires have been influenced the area, but it is still great. Going again this August/September into a different area of the Sawtooths.

Looks good. I've always loved traveling in the mtns right after the first snow.

The wolves part would be alright with a bigger group. Going solo could be scary.

Back