Snowpack Bridger Teton National Forest 2024

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to hike into the Bridger Teton National Forest May 25-27. Can anybody tell me what type of year it was for snow: below-average, average, or above? I just wanted to get an idea of what the spring runoff might be like. I was going to start from Turpin Meadows Campground and hike north up the Buffalo Fork trail to Pacific Creek turn NE and go as far as I could. I know that the Pacific Creek area near Two Ocean pass gets swampy/flooded out during the runoff. If that's the case, I'll just turn around and head back in the direction I came. I've never been in this area but its been on my radar for a few years now. Thanks for the help.

Stinson

Last edited:
Younts peak snotel is about 65%. Graph of melt looks about 2 weeks ahead. Others around that general area are still around 80 to 90%. Yellowstone Park all low to mid elevation is mostly snofree. You'll have high water in creeks , lots of marsh at least till end of june

Thank you Bob. I think I'm going to hike up to Soda Fork Meadows, camp out for a day or two, see if I can capture some photos of wildlife, and then hike out. I think that's feasible.

Any chance this latest storm rewrites the GYE snowpack tale for 2024? I'm having a hard time pinpointing my expectations for totals across the park, but looks like the SW corner could at least get lucky. Hoping the Upper Yellowstone gets lucky, too.

I know a decade ago the Front Range was looking mighty light before a Mother's Day storm dumped three feet all over the place (and felled a tree in my backyard in Denver).

Any chance this latest storm rewrites the GYE snowpack tale for 2024? I'm having a hard time pinpointing my expectations for totals across the park, but looks like the SW corner could at least get lucky. Hoping the Upper Yellowstone gets lucky, too.

I know a decade ago the Front Range was looking mighty light before a Mother's Day storm dumped three feet all over the place (and felled a tree in my backyard in Denver).
Only 1 to 2 ft forecast for high passes. Sofar here .3 in rain this morning. Think it's more a warm storm. Have to snow a lot to move the snotel indicator much

Thanks, Bob!

I'm not making it up that way until the first of August, just down here doing my preemptive 'keep the smoke away' dance.

Back