Tell Me What to Buy with REI Gift Card

Frankenbeans

So I have a $100 REI gift card and small dividend burning a hole in my pocket, along with the annual 20% off coupon. The trouble is that I can't really think of anything to buy. Here is my current setup:

1. Tent - Big Agnes Seedhouse SL3 - at 4 lbs, it is lighter than most 1-2P tents
2. Pack - Gregory Contour 75 (I hike with my kid and have to carry hero loads at times)
3. Sleeping Bag - Currently borrowing REI Subkilo 20 degree, but am ordering an Enlightented Equipment quilt soon - not sold at REI. I also have about 10 synthetic bags that are too bulky for backpacking.
4. Pad - Therm-a-Rest Neoair X-Lite Large size (x 2)
5. Insulation - Down sweater/Jacket - Costco special; Patagonia lightweight fleece sweater
6. Rain Gear/shell- Marmot jacket and pants
7. Filter - Sawyer Mini
8. Stove (2) - MSR Pocket Rocket; $11 Chinese Micro Rocket knockoff
9. Footwear - Zamberlain boots and Keen shoes

I am not really an ultralight guy, but like things light if possible. So.....tell me what to buy! Thanks!

In no particular order, here are some ideas:

Pack cover
Day pack
Ultralight pot
Long spork
Wool clothing
Zip-off pants
Headlamp
Hammock
Trekking poles
Micro spikes
Underwear
Mini gaiters
Camp shoes
Socks
Undies
Mountain House meals

@MikeK

Good ideas. I do have some of those items that I forgot to mention (Day Pack, GSI Pinnacle Dualist cookset, zip off hiking pants, etc.)

Oh, something else I've liked a lot is the Z-Seat. It's 2 oz and $15 and I use it a lot while backpacking (and elsewhere). To sit on during quick rest stops, filtering water, around camp (sometimes with a log and backpack for a back rest), while eating lunch, on summits, to kneel on while reaching into tent, extra insulation under sleeping pad if needed, or extra height under pillow, etc.

i just got the Flex Lite chair: http://www.rei.com/product/829239/rei-flex-lite-chair
it's definitely a luxury item, but i'm always wishing i had one when my back starts aching on a trip. i can't wait to use it on my next trip!

I've thought about a backpacking seat or stool in the past and almost picked this one up at 10 oz. I keep reconsidering but always end up opting to just save the weight and just sit on my z lite. I'm pretty short so this one would actually work for me but if you have longer legs you'd probably need the taller one which weighs 4 oz more.

having something to sit on isn't a problem for me, it's having something to lean back on to ease my back. I've gotten pretty good finding/making seatbacks with rocks/trees.
hopefully this flex lite chair will be worth the 1 lb 12 oz to carry it.

having something to sit on isn't a problem for me, it's having something to lean back on to ease my back. I've gotten pretty good finding/making seatbacks with rocks/trees.
hopefully this flex lite chair will be worth the 1 lb 12 oz to carry it.

it's worth carrying it, but be careful - after you used it on your first trip youre' spoiled :)

Back