Thompson Hole

Udink

Still right here.
This was kind of a long drive for such a short hike. I went down the Tidwell Draw road in the Swell to the San Rafael River, then hiked into Thompson Hole to find a geocache and some petroglyphs. Thompson Hole is an abandoned river meander where the San Rafael cuts through the Reef, and there's an old bulldozed road leading into the bottom. There's a new (within the past few weeks) "No Vehicles" sign just before the road descends, however, so I parked there and walked the rest of the way. I hiked about two miles and spent two hours looking for rock art in the area. Afterward I intended to hike a couple of small drainages in the San Rafael Reef north of there, but in the nearly-100-degree heat I wasn't feeling up to it.

Thompson Hole panorama
IMG_5200_stitch.jpg

The Jeep parked on the San Rafael Reef above the river
IMG_5212.JPG

WSA sign before the road descends into Thompson Hole
IMG_5214.JPG

At first I thought I was seeing Indian ruins, but these are just rock walls to keep cattle from wandering
IMG_5218.JPG

Sharpening grooves
IMG_5228.JPG

Grinding marks
IMG_5229.JPG

San Rafael River
IMG_5240_stitch.jpg

Petroglyphs
IMG_5245.JPG

IMG_5250.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_5254.JPG

Cowboy glyphs
IMG_5285.JPG

More petroglyphs at a second panel
IMG_5310.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

Exploring a small side-canyon
IMG_5321.JPG

Climbing out of Thompson Hole
IMG_5323.JPG

It was only 91 degrees when I finished hiking, but I saw a high of 98 on the drive out
IMG_5324.JPG

Dust on the back of the Jeep
IMG_5330.JPG

Full photo gallery:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Dennis.Udink/ThompsonHole

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Your post makes me want to explore closer to home. Nice pics too.

Awesome! We've explored the San Rafael quite a bit but never this section. Very cool. thanks for sharing.

That's cool, Dennis. :)
Nice rock art.
I love this part of Swell.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X mit Tapatalk 2

Back