Water on the Highline Trail - 2021

JBG

I am planning a nine-day, four-man trip on the Highline Trail, East to West, starting on July 21st, 2021. Does anyone know where I can find good intel about water sources on the Eastern side of the trail, esp. between East Park Res. and Long Peak Res.? I have been told that there is water south of the trail around Manila Park (about 12 miles from TH at Hwy. 191), is this the case in this dry year?

Many thanks for any help,

JBG

I am planning a nine-day, four-man trip on the Highline Trail, East to West, starting on July 21st, 2021. Does anyone know where I can find good intel about water sources on the Eastern side of the trail, esp. between East Park Res. and Long Peak Res.? I have been told that there is water south of the trail around Manila Park (about 12 miles from TH at Hwy. 191), is this the case in this dry year?

Many thanks for any help,

JBG
Good luck JBG! I’m planning on hiking the UHT in mid August and am wondering the same question. Did you ever confirm if there is water before Leidy Peak after the reservoir?

Thanks. Best wishes in your trip!

Dayno

No water from East Park reservoir until Hacking Lake. There is a small creek that maybe dry this year about a half mile south of the Highline or you have to drop down to Leona Spring which is a pretty big drop in elevation but the water is really good. My advice is just be prepared to carry a lot water on that stretch.

Last edited:
Back