Yellowstone - Winter Yurt Trip?

I've been several times in winter in Yellowstone but didn't stay in the yurts as they were too pricey.
I did Snow Lodge and a cheap motel in Gardiner, so prices were reasonable.
Love the silence in the park and all the cross-country skiing. It was super amazing.
I would have gone again this winter but I'm moving out of state end of March which will be expensive enough.
But I hope I can do another Yellowstone winter trip one of these years
Good luck with your move!

I spent a year after my freshman year in college trying to decide whether to go back to school or not. I was hired as a land surveyor for that time, which included working all winter around Steamboat Springs, CO as the instrument person and thereby having the fun of not only carrying a heavy tripod and instrument, but also digging a pit to set it on the ground, sometimes three or four feet deep. I worked on snowshoes and cross-country skis. We worked from before dawn, often getting stuck several times before arriving at the survey site (I learned a lot about using a winch) and not getting out until after dark. We drove an old Jeep Wagoneer with no rear window. We would get so cold that we'd build a fire at lunch time. I had a pair of electric battery-powered socks. I decided to go back to school after that. :)

I've never had any desire to winter camp since then though I've done it a few times. I love to see photos by others who do it and read their accounts, because it makes me feel appreciative to be in a nice warm shelter. I have winter camped in a trailer up to minus 5, but it's not the same, as I had a heater, even though the rugs would freeze to the floor. So, beautiful as it is, I'm not tough enough for it, or maybe I should say it's too tough for me. Even worse than the cold are the long nights. A heated yurt would be heaven.
This is my favorite post of the year so far. Got my laughing and cold at the same time.

Back