Zion trail report please

Goat

Hi everyone, if anyone is hiking Zion NP in the next couple weeks I'd like to get a trail and spring report for the trails between Lee Pass and the Grotto, especially the higher portions. Latest ranger report says "snow, melting snow and mud" on upper wildcat/west rim, which is certainly believable, but a little more detail would be helpful. Also interested in spring flow, namely Beatty, Wildcat, and Potato Hollow springs.

Thanks
Goat

I backback in Kolob next week, I'll post updates after I'm back. Snow is melting fast between Wildcat and the Grotto. I went 3 weeks ago during the last big snowstorm and it had about 8-10 inches of snow past campsite 2 on the West Rim. Since we're most likely hitting 90s the next two days, most of the snow will melt. So definitely expect very muddy conditions

Thanks Yvonne, I'll definitely look forward to seeing your report. Satellite image taken yesterday looks promising, compared to a a couple weeks ago. 90s? The forecast I've seen is in the upper 70s, but haven't seen a 90s.

okay, just got back from Kolob And hiked around in the park the last few days.

The Spring at campsite 7 (where I stayed) at La Verkin Creek is running and good.
This is the only water source between here and Sawmill Springs. The entire stretch between La Verkin Creek and West Rim Sawmill Spring is dry.
Not even Wildcat Spring is running.
I haven't hiked West Rim recently because of our trail closure so I don't know about Potato Hollow or Cabin Springs.

No snow on the entire stretch from Lee Pass to Connector Trail patchy snow on Wildcat trail

Thanks Yvonne! Sounds like no need for spikes or traction then. From what I can tell the snow is melting fast. It would be nice if the road to Lava Point would open so we could cache water there, but if not we'll have to cache at Wildcat instead.

Kent

Thanks Yvonne! Sounds like no need for spikes or traction then. From what I can tell the snow is melting fast. It would be nice if the road to Lava Point would open so we could cache water there, but if not we'll have to cache at Wildcat instead.

Kent
I don't think so. The snow is melting fast, it will be gone very soon.
I can't wait for Lava Point to open, the hikes from up there are just calling my name, lol

Yeah, I was hoping that road would open early this year. It probably will, but probably not early enough for us. Oh well, it won't make that much difference to our water caching strategy. Just an additional 5 miles or so between Wildcat and West Rim. I think we're going to assume no springs running except Beatty, just to avoid risking running out.

Back