Benson Creek, June-22-2013

Howells Outdoors

Adventure is my middle name...actually it's Keith.
Benson Creek is one of my favorite canyons in Utah, it's north of Zion near the town of Parowan.

It's in the top because of the easy access and the hiking comes before the good stuff! There is also always flowing water in it, not enough to call it a class C canyon, but enough that it gets you wet and cools you down on the hot summer days! (Hot summer days in Parowan Canyon aren't that bad anyways.)

We (my wife, dad and brother-in-law) left Cedar City at about 1 pm and finished the canyon pretty quick; I think it was 5 when we were done.

The hike up isn't that bad, up a talus slope that might be difficult if you don't know how to hike on loose gravel.

Shortly after you start hiking you're at the first rappel of Benson. The gorgeous 100ft rappel down a waterfall is so much fun! It's one of the main reasons I love this canyon.

At the bottom you turn around and there is the 2nd rappel, a short two stage 40ft rappel.

This canyon is awesome with the basalt rock and plant life growing everywhere.

The 3rd rappel is a short 35ft rappel, nothing much.

Then you hike down and come to the last and final rappel. Some times you get an audience at this waterfall, its an easy family friendly hike up to here.

Overall I just love the simple, but amazing features in this canyon! Great trip here!

After we were done we went back to Cedar City and ate at Robertos, kind of the tradition to get a batch of Carne Asada Fries!

Then drove to Parowan Gap for the Summer Solistice Event. Such an amazing petroglyph site. The Native Americans used the area as a natural sundial and calendar. I highly recommend coming out to one of the solstice or equinox events.

After the sun set we turned around and watched the Supermoon come up!

IMG_8806.jpgIMG_8811.jpgIMG_8829.jpgIMG_8831.jpgIMG_8837.jpgIMG_8841.jpgIMG_8843.jpgIMG_8881.jpgIMG_8886.jpgIMG_8889.jpgIMG_8890.jpgIMG_8892.jpgIMG_8898.jpgIMG_8904.jpgIMG_8909.jpgIMG_8910.jpgIMG_8923.jpgIMG_8925.jpgIMG_8926.jpgIMG_8944.jpg

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

so close to home and I've never heard of it before.
It looks great!! I also love the rock art panel
Parowan Gap is an amazing archeo site! If you haven't been there I recommend stopping by but also getting some research on the meanings

Awesome canyon. It's rare to find a canyon that is relatively straight forward that has flowing water. I've never heard of Benson Creek. Maybe hit us up with some info. Thanks for sharing. I'm also ecstatic that your wife love's to do the stuff. Willing and wanting. Reminds me of my wife.

Salud, amigo!

Back