Colorado National Monument

Great shots Randy ! You and I are lucky to live so close to the Monument. I feel especially lucky living 'literally' right across the street from it (just below Liberty Cap). I think I see more of the morning fogs that invade the Monument than most folks in the Valley....they are there quite often during the winter months but vanish many times before I can even grab the camera. The glory of sunrises and sunsets are never ending

The other day I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Hank Schoch....he is retired now but was the chief Park Ranger of the Colorado National Monument for 17 years. I had quite an interesting conversation with him. During his tenure at the Monument, he spent much time locating and cataloging John Otto's old campsites and artifacts from early 1900's.

Mr. Schoch also showed me photos of many projectile points he had found and documented within the Monument.......one of which really looked like an atlatl spear point to me.

How far is your photo spot from where you park? If it's not far, I'd start packing a 5-gallon bucket of water to fill one of those potholes whenever an awesome sunset is imminent! :lol:

How far is your photo spot from where you park? If it's not far, I'd start packing a 5-gallon bucket of water to fill one of those potholes whenever an awesome sunset is imminent! :lol:

That thought has crossed my mind before.....since those potholes are only full after a storm. They dry up the next day if the sun is out.

It's probably only about a quarter mile from the parking area.

Back