Escalante Canyons National Park

Also, instead of a park superintended, the park is to be managed by the Garfield and Kane County commissioners and a member of the state legislature (currently that would be Rep. Mike Noel).
Well, I would laugh hysterically, except that it's not remotely funny. Now we know what the illegally closed-door meeting Zinke had with the Garfield County commissioners earlier this year was about. They willfully violated Utah's Open and Public Meetings Act. Clearly it was in order to plan how to crown themselves kings of the universe, or at least kings of the oil & coal they imagine will bring back glory to their teeny tiny hamlet.

Okay, instead of laughing, it's possible I'm shaking with rage at those horrible, greedy, short-sighted people.

This whole thing sickens me. I'm also horrified by this idea, and it particularly feels like a slap in the face because it comes right on the heals of the monument reductions. Then there's the potential for a government shutdown this weekend, which the news says is unlikely to happen, but you just never know with Trump. I already take blood pressure meds, but I might have to take a higher dose if this crap keeps up.:mad:

Apparently there will be House of Rep discussion shortly with respect to Rep. Stewart's bill (HR4558) which will hold a hearing in the Federal Lands Subcommittee on Thursday, December 14th. I have received emails from GSENM.org (Grand Staircase-Escalante Partners) suggesting those who are interested in commenting need to write to Natural Resources Committee in Congress ASAP that you are either for or against the dismantling of the monument and the setting up of a national park with a piece of what is left.

Have some time on your hands? Call Chris Stewart's office in DC and tell them you are strongly opposed to the Escalante Canyons Enhancement Act, HR 4558. I just did, it took 20 seconds.

Rep. Chris Stewart
202-225-9730

He's my rep. I've called him. I've emailed him. Don't know that it will do much, but it's what I can do.

I just called my representative too, though her opposition is a done deal. That's the beauty of living in CA these days, our reps oppose just about everything coming out of this administration.

And there is my snazzy representative Rob Bishop showing up at the end to try to bail out that guy. I have to say that Mr. Gallego handled that a lot better than I could have.

I just re-stumbled upon this map in Desert Magazine from 1963 in their issue about then new Lake Powell. When I first saw this I laughed at the 'Hole-in-the-Rock Marina' with it's restaurants, hotels, campgrounds and 'trailer village'. Now all of a sudden this doesn't seem that unlikely anymore. Hell, if you told me they were going to build a tram down I almost wouldn't be surprised anymore. Or maybe a great bridge over Glen Canyon so they can follow the trail in the minivan all the way to Bluff...

upload_2017-12-19_21-13-51.png

Back