Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021

You packed a lot into 4 days, @Laura V. with your side explorations to "hidden treasures". 4 days is barely enough to soak all of Salt Creek in, yet I've never allowed more time either. Overdue for a return. Thanks for posting.

Nice trip ....... but ........
Bear canisters? Wag bags? ........... Glad I did Salt Canyon many years ago !!

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the wag bag requirement on that one.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get the wag bag requirement on that one.
I would guess that wag bags are necessary because there are only the four reservable sites in the canyon which see heavy use, and it’s very overgrown, particularly around SC#4. Wag bags aren’t required in the lower canyon where it opens up.

As for the bear canister, it seemed completely unnecessary - at least in April. There wasn’t a single sign of bears anywhere to be seen. Maybe fall is a different story.

You're lucky to have experienced it when it was probably less peopled and there weren’t so many rules.

Reactions: Bob
You're lucky to have experienced it when it was probably less peopled and there weren’t so many rules.

I think having only 4 campsites in upper Salt Creek keeps it less-peopled. We only passed a couple people on the trail over 4 days last month, which was was a much better experience than when we were in upper Grand Gulch a few weeks earlier and must have seen over 100 people.

I think having only 4 campsites in upper Salt Creek keeps it less-peopled. We only passed a couple people on the trail over 4 days last month, which was was a much better experience than when we were in upper Grand Gulch a few weeks earlier and must have seen over 100 people.
Yeah, this is exactly why I find the rule perplexing. Of all the canyons to consider for wag bag requirements, I would think salt creek would be very low on the list.

I hiked Salt Creek back in late April. In the Salt Creek/ Horse zone no wag bag needed. In Salt Creek you need to carry a wag bag. But you only need to use it if you do your business around the 4 campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, this is exactly why I find the rule perplexing. Of all the canyons to consider for wag bag requirements, I would think salt creek would be very low on the list.

I get it. Those campsites are used every night (from spring through fall, at least) by groups of people...it wouldn't take long for there to be a ring of catholes circling each campsite about 200 feet out.

I hiked Salt Creek back in late April. In the Salt Creek/ Horse zone no wag bag needed. In Salt Creek you need to carry a wag bag. But you only need to use it if you do your business around the 4 campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes more sense. I always try to take care of business far away from the campsites anyway for this reason

Back