Gear Question: Vibram Five Fingers

I love my Keens that I have had for a few years and been looking for something new... I have some awesome water shoes that they discontinued called the Cimarron. So on the search for a replacement I tried on Keen McKenzie the other day, and its not to bad. Now just to find a sweet deal on them. I have tried the Solomon, and Teva and the just didn't seem right.

Have you actually tried those Solomons? My wife has a pair and she hasn't liked them much. I usually either do water hikes in my 5.10 Canyoneers or my Keen Newport H2s. A lot of my friends use old pairs of low hiking shoes or tennis shoes. Audra is off in Vegas for business right now but I'll get her to report back on what she didn't like about the Solomons.

One of the local outfitters here in Boulder swears by his 5.10 Canyoneers. I think i'm going to throw down for a pair this season.

i noticed the Keen Cimarron's mentioned in the thread too. great for in the water if you are not on slickrock but i found them to be slippery as snot. I've actually fallen while wearing them while hiking a slickrock bottomed section of calf creek.

One of the local outfitters here in Boulder swears by his 5.10 Canyoneers. I think i'm going to throw down for a pair this season.

I love mine but a fair amount of the people I've asked do not like theirs. It's all about sizing them right and I still haven't found a way to use them comfortably without the neo socks. But with that said, I've done some very dry sections of trail like the Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow in them with neo socks and it hasn't been too bothersome.

My first pair was two sizes too large, current pair is one size too large and it's much better. A bit tough to get on but once it's there, it's great. I've seen guys use a carabiner to get them over their heal before.

I love mine but a fair amount of the people I've asked do not like theirs. It's all about sizing them right and I still haven't found a way to use them comfortably without the neo socks. But with that said, I've done some very dry sections of trail like the Boulder Mail Trail to Death Hollow in them with neo socks and it hasn't been too bothersome.

My first pair was two sizes too large, current pair is one size too large and it's much better. A bit tough to get on but once it's there, it's great. I've seen guys use a carabiner to get them over their heal before.

I actually found a used pair (the canyoneers) in the Boulder freebox (free exchange of used goods!) that is a half size over what i normally wear. figured they'd be good for a couple of trial runs on short hikes to see what i think. i have EE width feet which can be a real problem & i have to be very careful in my shoe selection, which is not easy when living in the middle of nowhere. it's a 3 or 4 hour drive to get to a good store to try anything on. good web store return policies are my friend.

Back